Callie Atwood

This is a photo of me and my friends after finals last year on the coast having fun. I am in the middle. On the right is my younger sister Katelyn and her friend Matt. On the left is my best friend Eric and on the far left is my fellow ARCH classmate, Reed.

Degree: BArch, Minor in Earth Science

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

I Grew Up In: Lebanon, OR

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
I chose the University of Oregon for two reasons. The first reason is that I wanted to stay close to home. I have a strong relationship and belief in my family, and without them I wouldn’t be where I am today. I wanted to be able to visit and spend time with them. I also I wanted to attend a university that would help me in developing my future. The University of Oregon’s College of Design is a great place to do both of those. I am already making connections inside and outside of the school and gaining knowledge through the professors’ experiences and backgrounds. I love learning from their  experiences and feel it allows me to learn more than just content that is delivered in a lecture. The relationships I’ve developed with the students and faculty at UO is my favorite thing about the program.

I came to the field of architecture in a roundabout way. I wanted to go into a design field. I started with fashion design then tried art and interior design, finally settling in the field of architecture. I took a career class and learned about what architecture was and could be, and I’ve learned even more about what I can do with it in the professional world now that I have been in the program for two years. It took me some time, but architecture really fits well with my skill set and personality.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
Prior to my first term at the University of Oregon I had been working at a firm, learning AutoCad and Revit skills as well as getting practical work experience about how to work with clients and correspond with other companies and people who work as contractors, engineers, and within the city planning departments. Though I work remotely, I continue that relationship with the firm and work full time in the summers. They have taught me a lot about the profession and I learned many skills that I have used in school as well as developing skills for my future career.

My Influential Professors
Tom Hahn, instructor of architecture, and Alison Kwok, professor of architecture, taught Environmental Control Systems (ECS) together and both of them were  amazing professors and taught me so much. Their combined teaching and amazing projects have made ECS my favorite class so far. I learned so much in that class about active and passive design strategies and it helped build a platform going forward into studio and ECS2. Going into the 2020–21 school year I will have the opportunity to work closely with Alison Kwok on the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) student group and learn more from her experience. Though these instructors were two of my favorites, this last term (Spring 2020), I had the opportunity to have a studio with Siobhan Rockcastle. Shevy, as we affectionately call her, is by far my favorite instructor. She has experience from all over the world and taught me and my studio mates so much about design and considerations to take into account when designing in certain environments or context. The project we did was working on designing a brewery/education center in an urban space located in downtown Eugene across from the Hult Center for the Performing Arts. She taught us about these two distinctly different programs and then taught us how to mend these two programs of a commercial space and an education space together to form a unifying structure, building, and environment. The knowledge I gained from her wasn’t just material, it was experiential and practical. She approachable, her feedback was useful in moving forward, and I left that studio having learned so much.

My Extracurricular Activities
I played soccer for years growing up and was a part of an intramural team last year, but between school and work I was unable to do it again. I have learned a lot about time management since then, and going forward am looking into working as a teaching assistant on campus. I am also on the student board for the UO ASHRAE student chapter. This is going to be an incredible learning opportunity for me. I will have the opportunity to interact with people in the professional field of architectural sciences and industries. This opportunity will enhance my educational experience and I am very excited to be a part of it.

My Greatest Learning Experience at UO
I think my greatest learning experiences so far at UO have been the site visits and field trips. I am a physical learner and I learn by doing more than by listening to a lecture. The trip we took in the Building Construction class allowed us to look at buildings that were in the process of being built and identify the aspects of construction that we were learning about in classes.

After Graduation
After I graduate I am going to spend a few years working in the architecture field. I want to gain  more practical experience in the design field, but I also have ideas bigger than just working in a firm. My end goals seem bigger than me, but if I keep pursuing them and working hard I have no doubt that I can achieve them. Ultimately, I want to be able to travel the world and work internationally. I want to use my education to help people and communities around the world who are affected by natural disasters and other devastating events. I also want to provide housing for those who can’t afford it, in the US and in other parts of the world where people are less fortunate than what we are blessed with living here in America. For me, it’s my calling to help others. I want to impact the lives of others and give them something that will build up their lives and communities.

Your Gift
To afford college I’ve had to work hard to save money and I’ve had to take out some loans. I had saved up enough to get me through a portion of the four years of my education, but as I go into my third year at the UO my funds have begun to diminish. Getting this scholarship will make such a huge impact on my education and allow me to continue it without having to take a break from school. One of my biggest fears and stresses has been the looming possibility that I might have to take another break from school to work and save up more money. I am beyond grateful and so incredibly blessed to have been granted this scholarship. It has lifted a significant amount of the financial stress that has been on my shoulders for the last year.

Thank you so much. I am beyond grateful and I deeply appreciate the funds to continue my education. Without this scholarship, I wouldn’t have been able to afford this school year. You have given me the chance to keep pushing forward with my education and continue to work hard to achieve my goals. All I want to do is finish my degree so that I may help others in the world. Thank you!