Brittany Micho

This is a photo of me working at my last internship at the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art in Fort Collins, Colorado. I was working with the collections manager to properly clean and catalog an incoming donation that included pieces from across the African continent and southeast Asia.

Degree: MA in Art History, with a Graduate Certificate in Museum Studies

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2023

2021-2022 Scholarships
Gloria Tovar Lee Scholarship in Art History

Prior Degree
BA in Art History and BFA in Fine Arts (painting), Minor in German, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO

I Am Originally From Rockford, IL

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose the University of Oregon because I loved the campus and how it felt so connected to nature. The main reason though was because of the Art History professors and the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. I’m excited about working with the professors and advisors within the department to help me further my passion for art history.

My last university had an amazing art and art history faculty, truly some of the smartest and kindest people I’ve ever met. The fact that all of them were so passionate about Art History is what inspired me to change art history from a minor to one of my majors.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
I believe that being an artist myself also gives me a little bit more insight into how an artist creates a piece. Some of the research I have done is based on the technique and processes used to create art, which I feel very connected to. I also feel very drawn to works of art that might not have much written about them or the artist. I see it as a fun challenge to show the world what this one person has accomplished.

PROFESSORS I LOOK FORWARD TO STUDYING WITH AT UO
I am looking forward to working with Dr. Joyce Cheng, Associate Professor of Art History, because she reminds me a lot of one of my last professors who really mentored me in my last program. Dr. Cheng has her own specialties that I wish to learn because I think they will fit well with my own interests in art history.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
What I am really connected to outside of class is Olympic weightlifting. It’s a sport that really allows me to push myself to meet my goals and have healthy goals. It is also a sport that is very technical in its movement which means every lift is with intention and a good mental space. This also carries over into my studies because everything I do needs to be done with intention and a good mental space. My lifting is practice for that, as well as a space where I can prove my strength to myself as well as the supportive community I am surrounded by.

AFTER GRADUATION
My greatest hope is that I will live in Berlin, fluent in German, and work at one of the major art museums in the city as a curator. This will of course be after I finish my PhD, at some point.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship is important to me because it feels like my academic achievements have not gone unnoticed and makes me very grateful for people who can see how hard I strive to be the best version of myself I can be. It also takes away some of the financial stress of schooling which, in turn, will help me focus on meeting my academic goals.

Thank you for your kindness and generosity in helping students like me through their graduate education to better themselves and ultimately try to better some aspects of the world. Finances are never easy, but for you to have set up this scholarship to help others shows me what kind of person you are and I am ever thankful for you.