Brittany Hobbs

This is the selfie I took in June right before I gave my capstone presentation for my Interior Design degree via Zoom. In this photo you can see my Bernese Mountain Dog, Elsie; my prized 60’s blue velvet office chair; and supplies from a few of the hobbies that have shaped who and where I am now.

MS Historic Preservation

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

Previous Degree: BA, Anthropology, University of California at Santa Cruz, CA; AA, Interior Design, Portland Community College, Portland, OR

I’m From: Los Angles, CA

Why I Came to the UO and How I Chose My Major
My combined interest in anthropology and architecture/interior design led me to the field of historic preservation. Portland’s historic architecture lured me away from my native California, and it feels like the College of Design has a similar story to mine: moving from Eugene to Portland for a greater understanding and deeper learning experience. I can’t wait to share my passion with, and learn from, people who have devoted their lives to preservation.

I came into interior design with a background in anthropology.  I love the ways we humans tell stories – often through our buildings and decoration.  I saw in the interior design industry a desire to replace and update spaces that lacked an understanding and appreciation of the past.  I wanted to learn how I could help preserve our precious stories while still honoring the needs of our contemporary society.

I was very excited to learn about Chad Randl’s work on A-frames, and can’t wait to learn more about his studies into DIY Culture and the impetus to rip out and replace.

Unique Qualities I Bring to My Studies
I have experience in fashion design and using it as a tool to teach children about sustainability and body positivity.  I’ve also been a brewer and I’ve studied historic farmhouse brewing and helped integrate these methods into contemporary processes. Lastly, I am a hobby botanist.  I love to study permaculture systems, and tropical plants (Aracea in particular!), and I teach both informative and craft classes at our local nursery.

Extracurricular Activities I Want to Pursue
I can’t wait to meet my classmates in person – I’m looking forward to (post-pandemic) classes on-campus, where we can meet in the common rooms and discuss what we’ve learned, and our ideas for the future.

After Graduation
After graduation, I would like to work in the field, and I would also like to teach.  I would love to help bring a deeper understanding of preservation to students where it is not currently in the curriculum — perhaps to the interior design and architecture students at my alma matter, Portland Community College.

Your Gift
Affording school has previously been a great obstacle for me.  I was rarely able to afford the books, and working two jobs leaves little time to study, especially if the only accessible textbooks live at the library.  This scholarship means I can take full advantage of my education – a new experience for me.  I can spend more time diving deep into the issues we discuss, reading the texts, and I will have the luxury of going down those lovely research rabbit holes. My experience will be enriched tenfold!

Thank you for your trust in me. The gift you have given me is not only financial. This support of my achievements gives me a very special confidence.