Alexis Barrett

Degree: BS in Art, Certificate in Secondary Education

Expected Graduation Date: Spring 2022

2021-2022 Scholarship
David McCosh Memorial Scholarship in Fine Arts

I Am Originally From Portland, OR

WHY I CAME TO THE UO AND HOW I CHOSE MY MAJOR
I chose UO because I liked their art program and campus. I like all of the classes the College of Design offers, I’m able to try a lot of different things.

I chose my major because I love to create. I’ve viewed art as a form of therapy ever since my little brother died in 2009. It makes me happy.

UNIQUE QUALITIES I BRING TO MY STUDIES
My brother died in 2009 from Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCIDs). This experience made me have to mature a lot faster than other kids my age, and it 100% influences the art I make.

MY INFLUENTIAL PROFESSORS
I’ve had too many great professors to be able to pick just one.

MY EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I’m an illustrator for Align Magazine, a digital and print fashion publication that creates an inclusive space for students to collaborate and push the bounds of creativity. I wanted to be more involved with other students so I decided to join and I love it so far.

MY GREATEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AT UO
While at UO, I’ve been learning a lot about boundaries. After living with some not so great people, I’ve learned that it’s really important to set boundaries with your friends and not let people take advantage of you.

AFTER GRADUATION
I hope to be a high school art teacher.

YOUR GIFT
This scholarship will take away some financial stress, which will allow me to spend more time creating than worrying.

THANK YOU!!!!!