The flaneur, it’s not easy being free

We’re now familiar with the ways of the flaneur, having followed the poet Baudelaire through the city, along the movement of his consciousness, stimulated by life happening in every corner of Paris, but we first encountered the figure of the flaneur in connection with the glass ceiling — the arcades, where it may not have clear to what extent the position of the flaneur — his mobility, his access to experience, his freedom of thought– is an exclusive privilege.

If we take the claims of Hollaback! seriously (and we should), this difference in social positioning remains a glass ceiling.

To focus on what the flaneur’s activity can reveal to us about our own conditions for being-in-the-world, I want to highlight a few keywords in this feminist critic/art historian’s definition of the flaneur:

One of the key figures to embody the novel forms of public experience of modernity is the flaneur or impassive stroller, the man in the crowd who goes, in Walter Benjamin’s phrase, “botanizing on the asphalt.” The flaneur symbolizes the privilege or freedom to move about the public arenas of the city observing but never interacting, consuming the sights through a controlling but rarely acknowledged gaze, directed as much at other people as at the goods for sale. The flaneur embodies the gaze of modernity which is both covetous and erotic. (Griselda Pollock, “Modernity and the Spaces of Femininity,” 67 )

What does it mean to be an “impassive stroller”? You certainly can’t give off the impression that you are seeking interaction. But as we discussed in class, the gendering of dress comes with the kinds of assumptions that prompt unwanted attention and unsolicited acknowledgement. The distraction of catcalling is a title IX issue, to some extent; objectifying or, worse, sexualizing another person draws their attention away from what they are pursuing as a subject out in the world, such that there is no longer equal opportunity. “Jessica’s Feminized Atmosphere” from the Daily Show offers some solutions, including the bitch face!

As we discussed in class, this is not just a gender issue. Our social position is the intersection of multiple identity categories, the most visible ones (race, class, age) being the most active ones.

Next time you’re walking down the street, think about what your gaze is really saying — are you avoiding contact? are you inviting it? what assumptions are you making about other people? what assumptions are people making about you? what captivates you and what does this say about what you’re most interested in? etc. The flaneur would never be occupied by such thoughts, but it might prove to be a worthwhile distraction.

18 Thoughts.

1. After I read this once I didn’t comment and when I was walking on campus earlier today I tried to make myself aware of what my “gaze” was saying and I think that people think I look like a bitch. It’s not an intentional face that I’m making, it just so happens that my “resting face” looks like I’m glaring at everyone. I’ve been trying to work on smiling more, but it’s just my face I guess!

• I have to admit when I read the poem I did not see it from the perspective presented in the follow up given by you (Amy)! Perhaps I was distracted by the idea of grief from reading the first poem, therefore making that my focus. Upon watching the video review I am able to see the direction of the poem more clearly. I believe that I go through life not thinking much about what my “gaze” is conveying, at least most of the time. That being said there are times when I want to clearly communicate a message and nonverbal body language including a “gaze” can be effective with this.

2. I’ve been told on multiple occasions that I look mad while I walk to and from places. The majority of the time I’m just distracted in my own head, thinking about what I’m doing later that day or in some cases I am upset and I’m thinking of something that had upset me. For some of us, the only time we honestly have “alone time” is when were walking to class or driving to work. It’s our one time to think about whatever we want. So yes, cue the “resting bitch face”. If someone was to look at me while I’m walking down the street, I’m guessing they would find me incredibly uninviting and unfriendly. When I walk from one place to another I tend to people watch as well. I wonder where people are going and what they’re thinking about.

• I feel like my gaze is most definitely avoiding contact because more than 75% of my time when I am walking to my classes I am always looking at the ground. I figure that it has to do with my feelings because when I’m not tired or cold I normally look around (when the sun is out) to see what is going on and if I make eye contact with others I will smile. Often when I find that happening I can only hold the attention of another person for just a few seconds so I guess I do avoid others, hopefully they do not think I am a mean person or anything!

3. I am very guilty of making judgments about people I pass. I have tried to get better at halting these thoughts and to stop stereotyping but of course, this happens every now and then. I am so consumed by all the diversity of campus that I am constantly gazing around, looking at individuals and comparing and contrasting one another. I want to get better at taking someone’s appearance and try and understand why they dress that way or why they present themselves the way they do. One quote that I always try to repeat to myself is “never judge a book by its cover”. I am trying to look deeper into each person than simply what is being shown on the outside.

• I love that quote too. Thinking where someone has been, the challenges they’ve faced, and the success they have had definitely cannot be seen on the outside. The diversity on campus, although sometimes seems like it’s lacking, is definitely interesting. You could even look at the diversity on campus, not only by skin color and race, but by where someone is from in the United States. Being from San Diego, I look around and see Oregonians and think “Wow, you’re dressed like that and its THIS cold out?” Even something as simple as where someone was born in the US has such a big affect on the way people are.

4. My whole life I have always been told that I don’t listen or pay attention enough. People would always say I said hi to you the other day and you looked right at me but didn’t respond, what’s wrong? Often times nothing is wrong and I didn’t even hear them. When I am walking alone, I often get lost in my own thoughts and tune out the world around me. I become so overwhelmed with what is going on in my head that I forget to check back in to reality. It may be negative in a social aspect, but for me it is the time where I can be most at ease.

5. I was walking through campus to the library today and tried to pay attention to what my “Gaze” was saying. I think I come across distracted, I am always looking around at my surroundings and not paying attention to what is going on around me. Sometimes I am on my phone texting or scrolling through Facebook posts. I often run into things or people on my way to class. I always think about what people think of me when they see me walking down the street or if people even notice me.

6. Today as I walked to class, I tried to pay attention to my gaze and what it was really saying. I realized that I think I actually look really angry and not inviting at all. I realized that I don’t really smile when I walk, and don’t really look at other people either unless I know them and they say hi to me then I smile and say hello back. I think people probably think I’m really unfriendly, even though I’m not! I also think people think I’m distracted by something going on because I think I always look very focused on walking and going to class.

7. The feminist reading of this poem is certainly interesting. Although I am not that familiar with the gaze of modernity, the male gaze is a concept that I have encountered very often. I think what is particular about this poem is who is looking and who is being looked at. The two verbs in the last stanza is striking, “fled” and “go”. Why does not the passer-by go, just like the poet? Why does she feel the need to flee, as if she were a prey?

8. For me I try my best to smile at people when I am out walking or just out in public in general. I know that when someone says hi to me and asks me how I am doing, it can make my day better knowing someone took the time to ask. I know that if I acknowledge someone or even just smile in passing, that might make their day a little brighter. I was raised and do my absolute best to try and not be judgmental of others, especially if I don’t know their story. For example, with the girl in the videos, she wasn’t acknowledging anyone that spoke to her, not even the people that were simply trying to be nice and told her “hi and have a nice day”. They were not intentionally trying to be demeaning towards her as a woman, but yet, the video doesn’t explain why she isn’t responding. So rather than my first response being that she must just be a conceited bitch, I stopped and thought, maybe she can’t hear them or possibly doesn’t speak English. I don’t want people to assume the worst about me if I don’t respond to them, so I want to extend the same courtesy and not jump to conclusions when I don’t have the whole story or don’t know the person. I love the saying, ” Don’t judge a book by it’s cover”. That statement alone is so profound and can be relevant in almost any situation.

9. I definitely avoid eye contact most of the time when I’m walking down the street. I like to mind my own business and really only let my eyes wander to look at cars, stores, restaurants, or peoples shoes. I’m not sure why I do this, I guess it’s because I do not know many people here since I have only been in Eugene for a few months and really I’m just trying to get to my destination. I don’t think I’m necessarily uninviting since I usually have an upbeat facial expression when I’m in public but I also usually have earphones in which could dissuade people from approaching me.

10. This is certainly an interesting perspective. It is definitely true that I feel as if I were being gazed at no matter where I am (which is possibly why I always put on a slight makeup before going out). I do not enjoy the catcall; it strikes me as offensive and disrespectful. However, it is also hard to deny that on a certain level these calls give me a satisfaction, which comes from the knowledge that I am being gazed at. Why do I think and feel in this way? Have I already been assimilated in the dominant way of thinking?

11. I have always been very aware of how I look when I am walking down the street. I know I don’t look particularly open and friendly, but I don’t really care how others see me. When I have a determined look on my face that means I am on a mission to get to class. The other day I was walking to my discussion and on my way I was stopped by two different friends and because I stopped instead of just saying hi while passing by, I was late to class. Also, since the diversity at the University of Oregon is very low, I often feel a little uncomfortable walking down 13th so I tend to just avoid acknowledging others around me. I’m from LA, so often times when I am walking on the street a car will honk or guys will catcall. It has sadly become something so normal that I don’t even really think about it anymore and am almost desensitized to it. Watching this video definitely made me angry and brought out feelings that I should have be feeling anyways.

12. I have always been the kind of person to make observations about those around them. Not in a judgmental way, but just in an observant kind of way. It’s interesting to me that everyone around me has gone through life in an extremely different way. Everyone has had different struggles, different monumental moments, different sentimental moments, etc. And no matter what people have gone through, they are still here in that moment with me. Whatever has happened to them, they have overcome. They are strong. As I walk around campus, I look at people and think about the different challenges people faced getting here and being able to go to school at the University of Oregon. One of my favorite quotes is “You never truly know someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes” because I find it extremely accurate. Unless you know someone extremely well, we’re all just people passing by each other.

13. It’s interesting because I am always aware of how people are viewing me whenever I am walking somewhere. Maybe that is my fatal flaw; Always being aware of people’s judgements and speculations. However I do not care. I will forever be someone who appreciates a good walk somewhere, with their headphones in, tuning the world out. My favorite kind of people are the people who will walk beside and do the same. I may not always look pleasant, or maybe I am smiling fairly often; I enjoy tuning out sometimes and I won’t give that up even for the desire to hinder catcalls or unwanted stares.

14. I have always been told by people that I have an angry gaze. I did not realize this, and most of the time I am generally a happy person. For some reason though, my face does not portray this when I am not thinking about it. I have also noticed that when walking around, I typically avoid eye contact and I really don’t think I seem too inviting. When I see people with a similar gaze, they come off as uninviting as well. The funny thing is that I am generally an inviting person. I guess I should work on portraying myself as a more inviting person through my gaze.

15. I remember a specific comment made about me in high school. A friend of mine now before I knew them said they assumed I disliked them because I “glare”. This is also known as the resting bitch face. I never paid attention to my gaze/facial expression while walking around until I heard this. I began to realize when I would get lost in my own thoughts I would come off like I was frowning. Although I believe everyone is a little guilty of judging books by their covers, this really made me reevaluate the way I saw other people on the streets and such. I would consider myself to be a fairly friendly person, so maybe the other people on the street that look generally unhappy may just be daydreaming as well.