Ducks in Love: Frances and Thomas G. McGuire

Frances and Thomas G. McGuire

Tom and I met in the Erb Memorial Union at the University of Oregon in 1964. He liked to play Bridge and one of my friends from high school was a Bridge player, too. We think that this connection is how we were first introduced. We became friends and would meet to drink coffee between classes. Two years later Tom graduated, married, and became a journalist. I continued at the university completing BS and MS degrees. I taught at San Diego State College, then, after my marriage, I taught at Lane Community College for 32 years. Tom and I reconnected after 50+ years when I noticed an obituary in the Statesman Journal for his wife. By that time, I had been a widow for six years. I sent him a sympathy card and an invitation to have coffee and catch up on the last 50 years. He called and asked to take me up on the cup of coffee. After the initial cup of coffee we continued to meet and sparks flew. Two years later we were married and now live along the North Santiam River in Mill City, Oregon.