German 345 Food Blog 1: Hey, Neighbor! Pizza House Review

I decided to go to Hey Neighbor for my food blog. Located at 19th & Agate, it’s a great place to visit in the spring when the weather is warm, because there is only outdoor seating. I took some of my friends with me for lunch on the weekend, and we sat at one of the big picnic tables under a colorful umbrella and string lights.

I split the funghi pizza ($17), which includes mozzarella, garlic, roasted mushrooms, parmigiano-reggiano, and fresh thyme, and the arugula, prosciutto, & parmesan salad ($13) which has arugula, proscuitto di parma, lemon vinaigrette, parmigiano- reggiano, and cracked pepper with one of my friends. I also got a root beer ($2.50) because despite having cocktails that look delicious, it was 1pm and I had things to do afterwards. This was a good deal in my opinion, because we each only paid a little over $15. Hey Neighbor uses a system where you pick where you want to sit and then scan the QR code on the table to pay, so customers never have to wait in any kind of line, which is definitely appealing to college students who would prefer to sit and talk to friends while waiting for food. Additionally, the service is good and the people who work there are friendly.

I really enjoyed my selections. The mushrooms atop the wood-fired pizza were warm and earthy, and the meltiness of the cheese contrasted the crispiness of the crust in a truly satisfying way. As for the salad, the sharpness of the arugula paired well with the savory flavors from the prosciutto and the parmesan. Truly top tier root beers are ones where the restaurant brews their own which is not the case here, but this one was still decently good in my opinion. Although typical in many pizza establishments, I appreciated the jugs of water on the table and the extra parmesan shakers, because this means that no one has to get up from the table and miss part of the conversation.

One additional thing I enjoy about Hey Neighbor is its proximity to both Prince Puckler’s Ice Cream and Washburne Park, which makes it easy to spend an enjoyable few hours in the Hendricks park neighborhood.