Values and Life

January 19, 2014

Values

Today I slept in, spent time on the phone with my mom and watched the Seahawks with a group of friends.  I also did a little bit of homework and ate a healthy lunch.  I check in with my parents at least once daily on the phone because of my top value “family”, and I usually text my sister throughout the week.  Although I didn’t exercise today I got plenty of sleep and ate healthy because of my regard for good health.  I am dedicated to my schoolwork and accomplished a few necessary assignments today.  Although doing so could be linked to my 5th top value “wisdom” I think my insistence on finishing my homework is more related to my diligence and work ethic.  The rest of my day was filled up with social activities.  I did not include friendship as a top value even though I am a very social person.  I did so because I think the term “community” is a more inclusive term.

I inherited many of my values from my mother and father.  My family is very close and we communicate with each other about nearly everything.  This open relationship with my parents and my sister has put them at the center of my value system because they are my closest friends and my foundation.  I also have come to value community and service because of my mother.  She has always been involved through volunteering at my schools, hosting work-related parties and events and her continued desire to serve those around her.  My father is an eccentric academic and has always placed significant value on knowledge and wisdom; because of this, I have acquired his taste for curiosity.  Lastly, although my family is relatively healthy, I place a higher value on it because I have encountered many health issues in my past.  After having a hip replacement surgery and an ongoing heart issue, I have come to value my health significantly and I take steps daily to take ensure my overall wellbeing.