Food preparation, like painting or writing, involves human creativity and thus, is an art form.  In its very definition, food is for human nourishment, human sustenance, or simply human enjoyment.  Therefore, the art of food falls under Dissanayake’s Renaissance theory.  In the description of this human-centered art theory she states “…there is no abstract concept […]

Defining Periods of Art

January 26, 2014

1.Paleoanthropsychobiological was a term that was coined by Dissanayake to describe the idea behind western art.  The term encompasses several concepts.  The first is that art “encompasses all of human history”.  Second, the term “includes all human societies”.  Third, the term explains that art is a mental and emotional need. 2.  The phrase “make special” […]

Art and Accessibility

January 22, 2014

One of the most interesting aspects of Dissanayake’s (1991) article is the parallel drawn between the movement towards modernism and the elitism of art.  Dissanayake states, “Because these values were not easily apparent to the untutored observer, appreciating art became more than ever an elite activity…”.  In an art history class taken earlier in my […]

Values and Life

January 19, 2014

Today I slept in, spent time on the phone with my mom and watched the Seahawks with a group of friends.  I also did a little bit of homework and ate a healthy lunch.  I check in with my parents at least once daily on the phone because of my top […]

“Confronted with the unpredictability, complexity, and quarrelsomeness of human values, with the apparent lack of any real agreement or uniformity in our personal evaluations and beliefs, the evaluations and beliefs that guide our everyday speech and conduct, how should we respond?” (Lewis, 1999). This statement is a complex summation of the intricacies of values.  While […]

‘Tis the [Flu] Season

January 12, 2014

With classes back in session for winter term, the UO health center has reached a high point in student traffic all thanks to this year’s hard hitting flu.  I would know, I tried to make an appointment last week and was barely squeezed in between the H1’s and the N1’s.  The Oregonian recently published an […]