Adornment: Personal Reflection

When I think about how I dress each day the most important thing I consider first is what I’ll be doing that day. If I know I’m going to class, but that I have to go to work after I’ll usually dress for comfort where as if I know that I have only class that day I’ll usually take a little bit more time in choosing an outfit that is suitable for the weather, but also comfortable and more fashionable in my opinion. As far as any body adornments, I do have tattoos but they are hidden by my clothing choices in the fall and winter time, and I do wear many rings and sport the 4 wristbands I have left on my right wrist from music festivals I have gone to in the last year. I have my ears pierced, but I never wear earrings. As of late I have been really digging the 90s fashion revival that is happening so when thinking about why I make the choices I do, I think I revolve it around that. I love wearing mens flannels and knee high socks with my combat boots, and rocking a choker necklace.

When I did my first post on the people that I watched I said that I paid a lot of attention to what they were wearing and how in turn their sense of fashion showed the amount of time that they valued. I would say that my personal beliefs and values are encompassed within that. I value time and my health so on days when I have a lot to do, I am more focused on using my time wisely and being comfortable in what I wear. When I have less to do I am more inclined to spend more time on what I wear and how my makeup looks, because looking more put together I think portrays a sense of hygienic standards for myself. I like to look clean cut, because it makes me feel good and makes others look at me and feel the same.

Growing up I would say that my family really valued freedom. I was always given the opportunity to do the things that I wanted to do and my parents were very trusting of me. I made a lot of mistakes and did things that they could not always help me get out of, but I figured a lot of things out and learned a lot in that time. In turn I think that I communicated my sense of freedom in the clothes that I wore because I always wore what I wanted, and it was never anything that was inappropriate, but my parents were also never telling me that I couldn’t wear a certain brand or anything in that sense. I never had a desire to get any crazy piercings I always stuck with different piercings on my ears and when I was 16 I did get my belly button pierced and my parents were always fine with it. On my 18th birthday I got my first tattoo, and although my parents were not excited about the idea of me having a tattoo, they were happy with the result and happy that I made the choice to keep them in places that could be hidden. I went on to get three more tattoos and they have never been disappointed in me for it or ashamed that I got them because I was very smart in making sure that I looked professionally presentable for the future of me getting a job.

With my set of friends I would say they are all a little different and unique, but also similar to me in the way we dress and adorn ourselves. A lot of my friends have tattoos both visible and not, and many of them have facial piercings and ear piercings etc. One of my friends recently dyed his hair a grayish-pastel blue color and one of my other friends has part of her head shaved. Many of us are into the 90s revival and a lot of us share clothes so I would say that the values of my friends is also freedom and they value fashion. I think that they also value being unique in a lot of ways. We all get along well because we enjoy a lot of the same things, but there are many choices that they make in the way they dress and style themselves that I could never see myself doing because of how I value my professional future.

One thought on “Adornment: Personal Reflection

1. Another benefit of promorepublic is its ability to monitor social media engagement in the context of customer relationships. It automatically logs customer mentions, and provides detailed insights into social interactions. In addition to allowing you to track engagement on specific platforms, promorepublic CRM can also track ROI of social campaigns.