Adornment Discussion

Person 1: From what I see I believe they are a man. He is dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt accompanied with a nice brownish-tan blazer. He has on dress shoes and he wears small, square framed glasses. His hair is short and looks neat and natural like it hasn’t been touched from any dyes but maybe lightened from the sun.

I think that in the way he dresses he values his character and he values his cleanliness. He wants to appear professional, but still somewhat casual. I’m sure he has the option to wear contacts, but the glasses not only make him look more stylish they are a lot less of a hassle to deal with in the morning. It seems to me from his adornments he in that way values time and also values fashion.

Based on their dress and the color of his skin I would guess that he is Caucasian, and between the ages of 21 and 23. Like I said in the beginning I believe he is a man or at least recognizes himself with the male gender. When I was watching him he was smoking a cigarette on the edge of campus so in terms of health he was consciously not making the best decision, but his emotion seemed neutral. He did not seem sad or angry, but also did not seem over joyed or even happy in that moment more in the motion with his normal daily activities.

Person 2: From what I see I believe they are a woman. She is dressed in black slacks, a beige sweater, a cream colored scarf, black dress shoes and a black rain jacket. She holds a briefcase that looks like its meant for a laptop in one hand and a coffee cup in the other. Her hair is a light brown and it is down and straight and from what I see she is not wearing any kind of make up.

I think that in the way she dresses she like the first person wants to look professional but casual. Her sweater looks cozy rather than constricting and her dress shoes look very comfortable. I believe that she doesn’t hold makeup to the same value that a lot of other women do as she isn’t wearing any. It seems to me she values being comfortable the way she is rather than worrying about fashion or standards. She is drinking coffee or tea, I could not decipher so my guess would be she also values time, as she does not want to waist the day with being tired or taking a nap.

The assumption I am making about her is that she appears to be Caucasian, in her late 30s early 40s, she seems to be someone who works on campus whether that be professor or not, and she seemed to have a look about her that was complacent. She was on her way to get somewhere and had work to be done that she wanted to get done.

Person 3: From what I see this person appears to be a female. She is wearing black leggings, a beige sweater, a grey sweater scarf, beige boot socks and knee high boots. She is carrying a rain jacket and has on a backpack. Her her is brown and it is long and laying down and straight. From what I see her makeup is minimal, no heavy eyeshadows just some mascara and foundation and blush.

The values that I think are demonstrated in this person is that she likes to be cute, but casual. She values her time in the morning and would rather spend more of it sleeping or doing activities she enjoys, rather than spending it getting ready. I think she values her heath because she does not look to be tired or like she is dreading the say, she looks well rested and well put together, but is still comfortable in what she is wearing.

I believe from what I can see she is Caucasian, but she may have something else in her that I couldn’t figure out unless I asked her because her skin tone does seem a little bit more on the brown side. I would say that she is between the ages of 18-20 and like I said she looks to be healthy. Not worn out or anything of that kind. Emotionally speaking she appeared to be pretty happy. She was walking with whom I assume to be friends and they were all talking and giggling with one another.

What I think these assumptions say about my own values and beliefs is that I value and pay attention to health. I’m also conscious of health in the sense of hygiene since it appears that this man looked clean cut.  I also value being clean cut in association with fashion so in some regards I am fashionably conscious. I think I also pay more attention to people of the same race as me. It isn’t that I mean to do this intentionally, or because I have any kind of negative feelings towards people of another race, I think it is just inherent in people to see those of us that are similar to us. I think I just take notice to people who I find myself having some kind of connection with whether I know them or not. Meaning age, race, gender fashion sense etc.

5 thoughts on “Adornment Discussion

1. Hi, Christina! I like your post about the observation of people. What I feel interested is that you notice some details about people’s dress and you can reasoning or predict based on some specific part of a person’s dress, like the man wear glasses, rather than contacts. This reminds me that some detective stories that the detective also can get plenty of information from the detailed observation and objective analysis. I never realize that this kind of method to get information and to make judgments about people may lead to wrong and very subjective results until I did this assignment to observe and analyze different persons. And I think you feel the same way that some personal experiences and factors may affect our attention to focus on specific part of a person’s dress and how we make conclusions about people which you mentions in your last part of the post.

2. When I fist came to the U.S, it was surprise that girls only wear leggings without wearing anything on leggings. In my country, South Korea, girls also wear leggings but they wear something like a skirt on leggings. However, I am used to this fashion now, so I’m not surprise anymore. Like you said, “I think I also pay more attention to people of the same race as me. It isn’t that I mean to do this intentionally, or because I have any kind of negative feelings towards people of another race, I think it is just inherent in people to see those of us that are similar to us,” I also believe that there are difference of beauty between western and eastern.

• I really agree with what you say. The differences in what is deemed as “beautiful” on the west and east parts of the world is so crazy to me! It is so typical in other parts of the US, not just in Oregon for girls to dress in leggings and nothing else on top. It is really interesting for me as a female to watch how far the trend with leggings has gone. I remember for the longest time when I was in 8th grade and up until probably my sophomore year in high school I would wear leggings with a skirt the same way that you say girls in South Korea do. From then on out I would only wear leggings at home and eventually I would wear them to work out and even to class in college. These days you can find leggings in every color and with so many different patterns. I’m almost certain that I own more pairs of leggings than jeans and wear them more often than jeans too.

3. I am sure this look was great. But as a woman I can tell you that without diamond necklace it will look incomplete. So think of adding a jewelry review. Thanks.

4. I think that diamond necklaces are not appropriate for the wardrobe that is being discussed. You need to check out Japanese Akoya Pearls if you want your look portrayed as becoming to the situation. In general, pearls can be worn on more frequent occasions, while diamonds are mostly used for evening attire or special events.