A Question of Values

Upon finishing this weeks reading A Question of Values the point that I found most interesting and can agree with most is the difference in categorizing human instinct to that of human values. I believe that these two correlate with one another, but are in themselves two entirely different concepts.

Human instinct is exactly what it makes itself out to be, a natural and innate behavior in humans. Instinct is a behavior that happens intuitively without much thought. On the other hand I would say that values are the opposing kind of behavior or act to happen when humans are put into certain situations. A persons values are based upon what they learn. When we are born we are not born with any kind of value system like in the way that we are born with a flight or fight response system–a type of instinctual behavior. Instead we grow in a household, a community, a society, a nation and a world coming to learn what kind of values we hold for ourselves and for those around us. Values are, to put it simply, a matter of choice. As Lewis states it “This is a complicated subject, but there is a good deal of evidence that human beings are not primarily driven by genetically determined instincts but are rather free to make their own choices” (7).  What Lewis is saying is that although instinct lives in all of us, and at times it is used, it is not the primary behavior we fall to in making decisions. The way in which I believe these two correlate is that when faced with a situation there is a moment where instinctually we think to act or respond to the situation, but when it comes down to it how we do decide to act in that situation is not based on our instinct but instead encompassed in the kind of values we hold. We respond to that situation in the way that will best uphold or value system.

A question I have for anyone in the class would be if they could think of a situation that they were ever put in where instinctually they thought to respond to it one way, but in the end responded to it differently because of the kind of values that they hold.

4 thoughts on “A Question of Values

1. The author Christina believed that there is a correlation between human instinct and human values, however they are totally two different ideas. People are born with having intuition. Whereas, values are acquired rather than innate, depending on the community we live in and what we learn from others. While making decisions, personal values play the decisive role of while we choosing what to do. The reason that the author think there is a correlation between human instinct and human values is because while facing a decision, we usually go through a process from impulse (using or instinct) to calm down (using personal values).
    The organization of the blog post is very clear. The contents are including both main idea and explanations, which is easy for readers to understand and follow. The blog post might attract readers who are interested in exploring human instinct and human values. Leaving a question for readers to think about can also lead a discussion effectively.
    The situation I can think of that we will respond instinctually is “saving family members while facing danger.” Supposing there are several family members falling into the sea at the same time, the first think comes to our mind is to save all of them, rather than thinking about whom to save and whom to abandon.

2. I do find that both values and human instinct have a correlation because we use our instincts to come up with decisions, and those decisions can lead us to having certain values. I agree with the author of this post that they are overall completely different concepts. Values are what we find important in this life, and what we choose to have as a priority and a guideline for how we behave. If I value my career or having a big family I will then decide differently when it comes to children or moving / quitting my career for a partner. If my values are on being a mom and having a huge family I will make different decisions accordingly. However, I would add that genetics and instinct have a big part in how we choose our values because they effect how we see the world. If I have more intuition and emotional responses to children (for example) then that increase in emotion (due to my genetics and intuitive motherly instinct) I am going to be more likely to want kids and have them as a VALUE in my life. Versus If I did not have this kind of genetic predisposition towards having them. This is how I see both human instinct and genetics as being intertwined and correlated with our values. The reading talked about how our values are less important than how we go about making decisions and judgements. I would argue that both are equally important, what do you think?

• I absolutely agree with what you have had to say Leah. I did not think about how how genetics and instinct actually play a huge role in how we choose our values. The way I saw it most distinctly was that values came about in the way that we are raised, and how day to day interactions with people in the world cause us to grow and pick our values, but the example that you give about how genetics play a role really puts it into perspective how it works. As far as importance in decisions and judgements vs. values I do agree that they are equally as important. Like I said I believe that values and instinct correlate, just as our values correlate with our decision making. To say that the choice that we made is more or less important than the values that we hold doesn’t seem fair when looking at them all as correlating factors. From my perspective, values mean a lot to me and influence every decision I make so in my opinion they are on the same level of importance.

3. For homeowners with busy schedules, residential cleaning services provide routine cleaning, keeping their home clean and tidy so they can enjoy their vacation. One of my friends, told me about Kenmore house cleaning services. You can check this information if you are interested. I think you might find it useful.