Thesis Booklet 7 | 10

Attached is a copy of my thesis booklet up to date. Items will be added to this as needed for the development of the project: Thesis Book

Proposal

Since my last post I lot of development and change has happened with this project. In the final term proposal presentations it was suggested that I move my project location to sites just across the street from the Vulcan property to a more centralized site within the Rose Quarter. As this suggestion was given to me by numerous individual as it could strengthen the idea, my next step was a site reevaluation. Suggestions included locations either in open parking lots south of Broadway in the Rose Quarter or north of Broadway in Lower Albina. Along with this was the recommendation to also do an investigation and redesign proposal for the existing sports therapy clinic adjacent to the Memorial Coliseum and Rose Garden Arena.

Since the ending of fall term, with advances in research, site visits and meetings with personal for precedent gathering, I have developed a better understanding for where to go with the project.

The project proposal I ended last term with, was to provide public spaces within the Rose Quarter that give the public more of a reason to use the space more often, and to make that space emphasize health and wellness. This will give the Rose Quarter definitive identity and offer a space with a different character from other areas within Portland. Major programmatic elements I am proposing are:

Fitness Facility

Health and Therapy Clinic

Mixed-use Housing

Supporting Services

Landscaping

The overall goal is that the implementation of my proposal will bring more attraction to the location and be an instigator for a broad range of businesses wanting to develop around the area. The vision would be to gradually phase and develop the Vulcan site as well as Lower Albina making a more vibrant space, enjoyable for the general publics’ use.

Precedent Research

Over the break I took time to set up meetings and collect information on both fitness facilities and sports therapy clinics. For this research I felt it was important to gather information on Rebound, the existing therapy clinic in the Rose Quarter. For my tour and review of the Rebound facility I met with Doug Rosario a Physical Therapist in the clinic. Further details on this meeting and all other facility tours and meetings will be outlined below.

I) Rebound Sports Therapy Clinic: Existing facility in the Rose Quarter

Correspondent: Doug Rosario

Meeting and tour information: Rebound

II) University of Washington: Sports Therapy Clinic, Professional Athlete Fitness Facility and General Public Fitness Facility

Correspondent: Mark Lanning

Meeting and tour information here: University of Washington

III) University of Iowa: Fitness Facility and correspondence for information on the Sports Medicine Clinic

Correspondent: Rachel Kirchner

Correspondence and tour information here: University of Iowa

IV) Lloyd District Transportation Management Association (TMA)

Correspondent: Rick Williams

Meetings set for next week Monday 14th, 11:15am. The plan is to build an understanding of any future proposals for changes to the transportation system through the site area (Max/bus/car/bike/pedestrian movement paths). I also hope to bring a little more clarity to plan for the Lower Albina area which boarders my site and the parking requirements to the structures in the Rose Quarter. Or guidance to who can be contacted or what documents to search for to find these answers.