Experiential Map

Last week in class, we did a very interesting activity.  We tried to understand mapping/diagramming in a different manner.  Each person took 4 cards (with each being in a different category) and had to figure how to convey the information of a site in the terms stated in that card.  The cards I got were: regions, form, character, and mood.  Below is the outcome of the experiential map for my site in the Lloyd district.

This activity and experiential map has shown me that the parking in front of the Lloyd Center Mall is indeed missing something.  There is a lack of character/identity and thus that area is very forgettable.  Not only was I observing on the site, but I also interviewed some people as well and learned some pretty interesting information.  Some of the information I have gathered is:

1)  a majority of the people (that I asked, actually all) would live in a mixed-used residential building, if located there

2)  most of the people, who would live there would probably be around the ages of 20 & 30

3)  the many options for transportation was a main factor as to why they would like to live there

4) people don’t like driving in downtown Portland; they just want a place to put their car

5)  as of now, the park is mainly inhabited by high schoolers and homeless people (mainly because of the fact that it is underutilized)