Final Review Reflection

While my final review went fairly well, there are areas that need great improvement. The areas that I believe need the most concentration at this point are biosynergies and facade development. I believe that the organization of the building is working successfully at this point. The organization is directly related to the experience and the tectonics; the idea being that the basic structural order of  the concrete walls allows for the lighter wood rooms and airy circulation to have more flexibility in the space. With this being said, this organizational concept for the building is still not coinciding with my general concept of the wall. While I need to focus on biosynergies and the facade, at this point I really need to figure out how “the wall” interacts with the remainder or the building.

After taking a little time to step away from my project after the review, I met with my mentor. We discussed a couple issues, one of the being the ways in which I can begin to incorporate the wall into my design. We came to the conclusion that the wall is important more as a gestural figure than as an actual wall, meaning that it is the implied separation that it creates from the highway that has an impact on the campus. With this in mind, I am going to move forward with the idea that maybe it doesn’t have to be a complete solid, rather it can be more of a grid that becomes filled in.  Another area that we focused on was the development of the campus and how to bring in the idea of “rows of agriculture”, campus green and paved areas into on cohesive campus plan.  As I develop the campus plan further, with the ideas that we discussed, I will be able to incorporate more ideas of biosyngeries into my design.

The facade is another area that I have been struggling with. I believe that I have been actually overthinking it and the result is a facade that is incredibly disconnected from my building concept and material choice. I believe that the best way for me to move forward with this is to begin to make some façade study models around my tectonic model and physically see and feel how these connections between indoors and outdoors occur.

Urban Design Final Board

Final Review-Thesis

Winter studio Final Diagrams

Final Model 1

Final Model 2

Atrium

classroom commons perspective

lobby perspective

pacific perspective

campus perspective