Reflection from the Site Design Process

What I have learned from this week is that my project concept has become somewhat convoluted. I have done a very thorough analysis of Hollywood in relation to my site and much larger connections. Through extensive programming I began to think about housing, a motion picture museum, a children’s film museum, and public service. However, it is now clear to me that the research dedicated to understanding these elements has helped me configure site design options. I understand the motion picture museum better bow because I understand what it needs to be connected to and why.

Overall, my thesis concept is not defined well. There are many strong concepts but not one clear direction. Therefore, I will narrow my focus on a Hollywood Motion Picture Museum inspired by bio-luminescence. Bio-luminescence can not only inspire me to re-invent signage along Hollywood Blvd, but will help me design museum exhibitions and key features of the museum to attract tourists, students, and the community to this important Hollywood Landmark,

In regard to urban design, I did not receive much feedback. However, the comments about my project concepts will help me re-define a clearer project scope. The outdoor theater will serve as a large civic space that will give the film industry a new venue for film festivals and possibly movie premieres. It will connect to the motion picture museum and help draw the community in at night to watch screenings and during the day as a courtyard space activated by commercial, housing, and the children’s museum. The urban connections are clear. The museum needs to connect west to the amenities of Hollywood Blvd.

Programming the museum and outdoor theater to define maximum occupancies will help me determine how large each space needs to be. Also, considering different arrangements of the exhibition spaces in terms of elevation and section will help shape the outdoor theater and landscape elements.

District sustainability will be a difficult issue. Hollywood is only beginning to set up a framework similar to what has already been accomplished in the Portland EcoDistricts. The largest factor in Los Angeles is reducing the carbon footprint through more efficient public transportation. My project is mixed-use and transit-oriented which is what will have the greatest effect on the district scale. Encouraging metro use through strong incentives and ease of access will activate the adjacent metro portal and hopefully inspire further development and use. Another district-level sustainable option is solar energy. This is definitely the most viable resource in Hollywood and will serve my building performance well. Ideally I want to be able to capture enough energy through pv systems to return some energy back to the grid. This will be connected to bio-luminescence because lights will be able to charge during the day and “Glow” at night.

In future presentations I will have more material produced from previous research. Developing a stronger story for my project will be critical to my presentations. This will catch reviewers up much faster than verbal descriptions. I will focus on assembling images from my booklet and sketch book to present inspiring images that will interest reviewers and other outside audiences.

Filed under: Current Works in Progress, Thesis