‘Potential Site And Exploring The Program’

Good Morning fellas…. Here I am writing my 2nd blog. After posting my 1st blog I realized, it was just informative essay and little bit boring. So I have decided to be more proactive about my blog and trying to make it interesting and interactive. I would like to have your comments and discussions on my posts; it will help me to channelize my ideas about thesis.

Update is I have neither finalized my site nor thesis topic. But as I mentioned earlier, I am pretty sure about designing something for public sector or institution. Last few weeks, we all attended seminars by varied architects and planners who are occupied in evolving Eco-districts in Portland.
Google image of site
SO Waterfront

Throughout the lecture series, I got more interested in emerging SO waterfront. Designing at the waterfront has always been my interest. The site at SO Waterfront has very good opportunities to explore sustainable design practices (which I need to explore more) like water harvesting, passive heating and cooling etc. Site also demands profound study of river front ecology and its conservation. In early 1900’s SO waterfront area was developed as industrial area. In 1988 area was registered as commercial zone. Since then area has been motivation for all varied public and private investors. Now government of Portland is aiming to enhance livability; provide a harmonious relationship between people and the natural functions of the river, and restore the river’s fish and wildlife habitat.

The site I have considering is near Marquam Bridge and along the Moody Avenue. I feel this site has opportunity to develop as urban entrance plaza for newly developed residential zone at SO waterfront. I am looking forward for today’s site visit to know more about this area. Soon I will update site photographs and site interpretation.