Thesis Statement – Draft

Biomimicry in Architectural Design: A Study of Adaptive Architecture and Sustainable Design Based on the Examination of the Natural Environment and System.

If left alone, nature never fails. Natural environments, ecosystems, and habitats usually consist of a large array of organisms that adapt to the specific conditions of an environment. Working as a system, they regulate the climate, balance the nutrients, and a create a self-sustaining cycle that supports the survival of each and every organism in the long run.

Examining such natural environments and systems could inspire us to design and maintain a more environmentally responsible built environment. For my undergraduate thesis studies, I plan to study the social structure of a termites colony and the structure of a termites mounds as an inspiration for a more complex built-environment. The mounds, acting a respiratory system for the colony, help circulate the air and stabilize the temperature of the underground nests. The mounds adapt to various sizes and shapes based on the specific conditions of the environment and the size of the colony. Termites also play an important role in habitat creation and soil formation and quality that helps support the survival of other species.

Through the course of this academic term, I will study the subject in closer details and examine the idea of biomimicry in architectural design based on my findings. Next term, I will incorporate the lessons learned into the design of an ecodistrict for the City of Portland and its supporting buildings in more detail.

I will be using this blog to generate discussion and receive feedback
from others interested in the subject. Comments are appreciated!