header image

Unit 2 – Values

Having personal values is a very important aspect of and individual’s personality and the way the veer through life. As we grow up and become adults, our minds continue to grow, and we start to form our own values that represent who we are as a person and where we came from. “there is a good deal of evidence that human beings are not primarily driven by genetically determined instincts but are rather free to make their own choices” (pg. 7). When we develop our values, we are free to view the world and society how ever we please. Our perspectives constantly change as wells as the values on which we stand for. My own personal values are very important for my life, as they keep me…Me. I grew up Jewish, therefore I see my values as Jewish values. I try to always be as kind as possible, I love spending time with my family and friends, I am motivated and determined to succeeding at whatever it is I do, as well as always want to be the best person I can possibly be. Without growing up on these values, I am not sure who I would be today. Lewis agrees by saying, “Personal values matter a great deal. Without them, we cannot live at all, for they are just as essential as air, food and water, and protection from the elements. Without clearly focused values, it is probably impossible to lead a purposeful and satisfying life” (pg. 18). Without a direction or purpose for life, there is no point in living; therefore as we continue to grow our values and morals, we continue growing as a species on this earth.

In discussing what Lewis believes in influencing our value system, I would have to think differently. Lewis believes that our value system can be influence in 6 ways, yet I believe it is in everyone’s own interest to achieve a goal of increasing and individuals value system. Each person must understand the importance of personal values and use that to increase life value. This will help our world grow into a more knowledgeable, healthy place.

~ by jberger@uoregon.edu on October 9, 2014 .

3 Responses to “Unit 2 – Values”

1.   pbai5@uoregon.edu Says:

The blogger points out: “In the process of forming our personal value, we formed our personalities. We keep thinking our values to reach our goals.” There are two points in the passage. The first point is that value is important for us. The second point explains that why value is important. There are two quotes with the two points. And the second quote is a good one to explain why we need values. The example is blogger’s own experience. Blogger live in Jewish family, so blogger has Jewish value, which is being kind. Lewis said: “evaluations and beliefs guide our everyday speech and conduct.”(pg.5) Something is unseen, but it affect us in some aspects. In the last paragraph, the blogger shows different opinion about Lewis’ six-way value system. And the blogger repeat the opinion, “people find their goals according to their interests.” In conclusion, this passage has a good structure and clear points.

2.   hyoyeog@uoregon.edu Says:

As I am the citizen of South Korea, I have usually received lots of news of North Korea such as their human rights, hunger, and worship of their dictator. So what I’d like to say is that I strongly agree with you that “When we develop our values, we are free to view the world and society however we please. Our perspectives constantly change as wells as the values on which we stand for.” Thus, for the citizens of North Korean, they are not free to view the world and society and their perspectives do not constantly change. Also, as Lewis says, that is why North Koreans are probably impossible to lead a purposeful and satisfying life. However, my opinion is a little bit different from your thought because people cannot only do what they are interested in. Also, they sometimes achieve a goal of increasing and individuals value system through what they are unwilling to do.

3.   diy@uoregon.edu Says:

I think the same that you said “Lewis believes that our value system can be influence in 6 ways, yet I believe it is in everyone’s own interest to achieve a goal of increasing and individuals value system”. I think the 6 ways are some general ways that affect human values and it is summarized by people from their real experiences by generation and generation. However, we all know that each person has some different aspects to distinguish yourself from others. Therefore, it is hard to generalize and ensure everyone is in the same situation and goes same direction. Human’s values’s formation like a chemical reaction, it has different materials and elements to work together. Even though you can control the most same conditions, but it is always will have some conditions that it is hard to control. That is because even such a tiny little difference will lead to different reaction and product, like tiny difference on temperature. Everyone is different, different families, different experiences, etc. I think all those like the different materials in a chemical reaction usually have different results. This reminds me that once people had a experiment to try to simulate the same growing environment and everything to see if they can cultivate the same person, like those world-famous people. The result is negative which can also prove that values’ formation is very complicated. However, it doesn’t mean you can do nothing or know nothing. I think the point of the author is let us pay attention and notice how our values may form and usually have some weaknesses and limits which may affects our further decision imperceptibly. When we understand that, we can more easily to respect each other and listen carefully to others’ different values.