Unit 05 Personal Adornment Reflection

This is interesting to think about my own dress. From a whole perspective, I dress and customize myself in a stylish style. Usually, I like to wear black clothes, like black jacket, black shirt, black pants and black shoes. No matter for clothes or pants, I like to close-fitting dress because I believe this kind of dress could shows the body shape best. For the adornment, I wear black glasses and there is nothing else of adornment on my body. Of course, the style of my dress express and represent my values of beliefs. I like black dress because I think this color could reflect the mature personality of a man. I do not like to wear excessive adornments, such as tattoos or piercings because I think that kinds of adornments always represent immature personality. I want to be a mature professional businessman so I think the tattoos or piercings could make others feeling I am not a serious person. I prefer to purchase high quality clothes with famous brand even though it means expensive price. The reason that why I choose to buy that kind of clothes is because I think the quality of clothes could reflect the level of a person in a certain extent. However, my clothes are expensive but these clothes almost do not have obvious logo on the appearance. I choose these clothes with implied logo because I do not want to show how I wealthy and I think the behavior of showing wealth is vulgar. In a word, in my values, I think if someone dress with ragged or dirty clothes, the people who around with him will feel shamed and embarrassed so I pay some attention to dress clean and fashionable. Also, in my values, I think fashionable dress do not means unique or strange comparing with others but just delicate or high quality. My dress style changed a lot over the years. Before came to the United States, I dressed casually and did not think the dress is important to a person. As I grow up, I gradually realized that the dress could reflect a person’s taste and level especially after came to America. In American life, I found that people will judge you base on your dress. If I dress bad, they would not likely to make friend with me. In contrast, after I changed my dress style to be more fashionable, I found it became easier to communicate with people who around me and. I believe that everyone want to make friends with high-level people. High-level does not means rich but mean clean, knowledgeable with good taste.

There are significant difference between my father’s dress style and my mother’s dress style. My father’s dress style is really simple. He usually wears a shirt with simple colors, like white, grey or red. He like to wear jeans and sports shoes because he feel comfortable with it. Similar with me, he also do not like wear any else adornment. He does not purchase any expensive clothe even though we can definitely afford it. In my father’s values, a man should not pay much attention on the appearance and he thinks saving money is a kind of good habit so he will not waste money on dress. In contrast, my mother pay much attention on dressing her appearance. She always wears delicate skirts with high-heel shoes even though she feels uncomfortable with the high-heel shoes. She likes to use luxury handbags, like LV or Chanel. The reason why she use them I think is because she does not want to lose face when she hang out with her friends who also like to use luxury bags. In her values, the appearance of a woman represents how delicate of the person. She believe that people will look down on a woman if her appearance is too sloppy.

For my peer community, their values and beliefs also are various. Some of them really like to show their wealth so they usually wear luxury and bright clothes. I have seen someone wear a Gucci’s brown coat that full of the logo of Gucci. They also like wear various adornments, like piercings, necklace and rings because they think these adornment could show how they are fashionable. In contrast, some of my friends have very different values. They do not like to dress them with obvious logo and various adornments. They believe that the temperament is the most important to a person and this will not be reflected by the luxury clothes.

In conclusion, I believe that everyone could choose their favorite dress style and the dress style could represent the values or beliefs of a person.

Leave Your Comment

Name (required)
Email (required)
Website
Message