Reflection

Design Concept:

Throughout the term, the word dignity has been in the back of my mind.  At the beginning of the term I was thinking about why low income housing was so important to me, and I think that it comes down to the value that all people have inherent dignity and worth.  All people deserve to have their basic needs met; all people deserve to have housing.  I was also inspired by Teddy Cruz who writes that marginalized  populations are more able to succeed when supported by a community, working together for grass roots social change.  These two concepts: the dignity of the individual and the importance of community for opportunity became the drivers for my scheme – houses surrounding a common heart-space where community would be celebrated and upheld.

How you addressed the Design Considerations such as community support, ecological sustainability, affordable construction.

• Community support:  I generated a wild central plaza space, a rich, mural-filled space that speaks to the vitality and resiliency of the community that lives there.  There is a community garden, adult conversation space, children’s play space, sub-courtyards, as well as a community center with a commercial kitchen and classroom spaces.
  • Ecological sustainability: There are rainwater catchment basins for irrigation, many of the roofs are angled to provide opportunity to place pv panels, there is community garden space, units have light on two and often three sides for cross ventilation, modular construction is possible.
  • Affordable construction: The houses can be constructed out of modular components.  If they’re to be stick-built, their dimensions readily accommodate typical lumber dimensions.  I selected basic materials: concrete floor on the main level, wood and gyp the rest.

How what you learned this term will shape next steps in your education

It seems like every term offers a wealth of learning and ideas for the coming terms.  I realize that this education is really just a starting place – I will have a lifetime of continuing education as I learn more and more about the art and act of building things.  Specifically though, I think that I’m more able to navigate Revit and look forward to future applications.  I’m also much more able to talk about the values that drive my passion for this work — that has been invaluable.

Thanks Nancy,

Ben