Interim Review

Why?

For me, this week was about looking at the tectonics of manufactured housing and achieving a workable unit, cluster, and site plan.  I’ve decided to rigorously follow an 8′ planning module.  I’ve tracked this in plan, ensuring that all of the transitions inside and outside the unit occur along that module.  With a double 2x wall backing up that module, it was less important to optimize the length of the dimensional lumber because there would be many differences between the interior and exterior lengths.  That is why I laid the planning module out in alignment with the interior face of studs, with an added 1/2″ at each face to allow four the optimization of 4′x8′ sheet stock OSB and Drywall that will dove tail at the corners.  The unit itself will be split longitudinally into two components of 8′ and 10′ for travel down the highway.  There were structural concerns of leaving one of the 4 sides open, but this is a common practice in manufactured structures.  Also, I minimized the longitudinal spans to 20′ with the stair and the kitchen/bath party wall at the midpoint to prevent the needed addition of any steel or temporary bracing for transport.

The studio to date has had a large amount of technical challenges to overcome such as overbearing zoning requirements, modular or pre-manufactured construction, and a challenging site and context.  My responses to these challenges are not perfect, but I feel as if they have been dealt with sufficiently.  The focus of my attention in the coming two weeks will be the aspect of why are we building and attempting to better represent the character of the place that we are trying to make.  What features and activities will make this site feel like a center rather than an edge or end?  What materials and finishes will allow for personalization and flexibility as well as durability and sustainability?  What activities are fitting to farm worker housing, and how do these activities change in the growing season vs. the winter months?