Adornment: Discussion Assignment

The first person that caught my attention while walking past the bench I am sitting on in Starbucks, is an African- American guessing from his accent and skin color. He is basically in kind of a sports ware north face jacket, sweat pants and some beats headphone around his head. He was walking with another one his friend and they were talking after picking up their Starbucks drinks on their way out. Looking at his dressing, behavior, and location I think he is really interested in sports probably even a sportsman and a collage student due to him being at a collage Starbucks and around the university with a backpack. He looks really fit, definitely work’s out judging by the muscles. Probably between the age if 20-23 and judging from the evening Starbucks is probably about to go to the library to study. I think he was Christian though I don’t have any proof or explanation to my thought here. Well most these assumption are merely based on his physical appearance and location with the exception of the religion belief. I think I feel he is Christian because I’ve lived in a Christian country in West Africa and due to the fact that most of my friends were African and Christian he too would have the same belief.

Secondly, Another Asian male who is presently waiting for his coffee caught my attention. I think in this case he caught my attention among the other four people that are waiting at the counter is because of his unique hair style as he have something like a pony tail in the middle of his head with really low cut on the sides. He is basically wearing a shirt and some jeans and really expensive looking Nike sneakers. Judging with the no backpack and jacket and Asian background, I think that he has a car and left his backpack and jacket in the car and is just grabbing a Starbucks on his way home. He is alone waiting, on his iPhone the entire wait time, seems like he was texting someone. He was definitely a male, barely over 20 in age, could be a Chinese, was a little skinny but healthy and doesn’t look like he works out. I cant seem to think about his religion as I don’t know much about Chinese belief but I think he could be a Buddhist. This basically suggest my thought for Asian especially on the university campus is that they are all or mostly basically rich.

The third person that I have noticed or have been noticing is this really cute girl sitting on the very opposite side of I’m sitting and we are basically facing each other. Well, she have been sitting there with something that looks like a iced latte drink even before I entered Starbucks and seems to be doing some sort of homework probably writing an essay. She is wearing glasses, and has short hair. Her cloths is hard to describe as it looks like a t-shirt but judging by the feathery look I don’t think it’s a t-shirt however, she is definitely wearing a jeans and some boots. Well she is definitely female, about 18 or 19 years of age, she’s white probably an American, and seems a little stress probably due to schoolwork. One think this says about my values is that I am definitely attracted towards girls, and I can relate with her in terms of schoolwork.

3 thoughts on “Adornment: Discussion Assignment

1. Hi. I think it’s interesting you associated the outfit of the first guy you people-watched with how he looks like he’d be interested in sports. When I people-watched I didn’t really think about what they’d be interested in sport wise or their hobbies, I mostly thought about their internal values which was more difficult to think about in my opinion. Just a comment, it’s interesting how much we’re able to judge off of someone’s clothing and appearance. You don’t really realize it until you write it down on paper but it’s true you can discover/assume a lot about a person just by observing for a short period of time.

2. Hi, I feel really interesting to the second guy that you mentioned because I am a Chinese student. Base on his hairstyle that you described, I definitely believe that he is Chinese. I know in most of American eyes, it is very difficult to distinguish Chinese, Japanese or Korean. However, according to my observation, there are some obvious difference on the hairstyle. Japanese prefer the long hair style while Korean prefer the bangs. In contrast, Chinese like short cut with cool hairstyle. In addition, you guess this guy is a Buddhist but actually most of us are non-religious especially for young people.

3. Hi Cheng, thanks for bringing such differences to light as I would never have noticed the different hairstyle on my own among different Asian groups. it is also interesting to think how its hard to differentiate between Japanese, Korean, and Chinese for many people. I also feel that many Asians do get similar problems as I have a thai friend who is always mistaken for being Chinese by other Chinese student. Moreover, I am an Indian and am also mistakenly assumed as an Arab by the Arab students. These mistakes makes me to think if appearance has anything to do with cultural differences these mistake would not happen. Therefore, i think it would be genuine to make a point that its harder to identify ones culture, when one is not dress according to his or her traditional customs.