It is no question that SOJC public relations students are provided with the tools and resources to be successful professionals, but what if you want to push yourself beyond the classroom experience? 

Allen Hall Public Relations is a student-run and nationally affiliated PR firm housed in Allen Hall on the University of Oregon campus. Working for the firm allows students to get hands-on experience providing support to real-world clients. 

Of course, the day-to-day in any communications setting will vary. News arises and things change…but that’s what public relations specialists do. We connect with people, tell their stories and strategically execute communication at all levels.

At Allen Hall Public Relations, no two clients function the same. Each organization is chasing different goals and uses different strategies to do so. 

If you are looking for a campus opportunity to expand your skillset as a communicator, AHPR is for you. Here are some of the opportunities you can take part in as an employee at Allen Hall Public Relations: 

Networking 

Weekly, the firm gets to hear from AHPR alumni and other trailblazers in the public relations industry. I have found it extremely helpful to hear and learn from people who have been in my very position before. I have been able to connect with these speakers, grow my network and locate potential job and internship opportunities. Networking is essential in the communications industry!

Team meetings

Our teams consist of 3-6 students. Each team has an account supervisor and multiple account executives who work together for one client. My team, Marching In Their Footsteps, meets weekly to reconnect on our goals and assign tasks. These meetings are essential for establishing good workflow as a team but also serve as a time to connect with other SOJC students. Within our team, we utilize platforms like Slack and Asana to stay connected and organized.

Client meetings

AHPR currently has a roster of ten diverse clients. As mentioned, each client has different goals and needs. The AHPR team works closely with their client to establish a trusting relationship and deliver exceptional results. Working directly with a client has provided me experience in establishing professional relationships as well as learning to balance client needs and team contributions. 

Social media creation & management 

Many AHPR clients need assistance in creating and maintaining strategic social feeds. Some teams produce Instagram, TikTok and Twitter content resulting in notable metrics tracked through KPIs. Other teams work to engage with their client’s audiences through community management efforts and influencer marketing. 

Pitching/outreach

In true PR form, many AHPR teams prioritize pitching and outreach on behalf of their clients. They deliver timely and relevant pitches to journalists and influencers to gain media coverage. Developing outreach lists and establishing journalist relationships serves as a great opportunity to develop traditional PR skills. Plus, landing a placement is a wonderful feeling!

Events

Some teams with local clients have turned to virtual and in-person events. These teams gain experience planning and executing, booking speakers and sticking to budget. Events serve as a good way to connect with an audience and increase awareness.

Writing and research

The SOJC definitely prioritizes good writing and research through its class offerings. AHPR has given me yet again, another opportunity to write in various forms. I have developed my “Instagram voice” writing captions for my client, my “professional voice” in writing outreach emails and even my more casual “blog voice” through creating things like this post! 

AHPR strives to allow students the opportunity to be strategic and creative. Be sure to follow our Instagram (@allenhallpr) to stay up to date on when we will be hiring next!