By Emily Holman of Oregon 22
Allen Hall Public Relations celebrated our last meeting of the 2019-2020 school year this past Tuesday. The meeting was a celebration for the firm as a whole and to send off our graduating seniors with guest professors from the SOJC PR department. Dean Mundy, Autumn Schafer, Hollie Smith, Courtney Munther, and our advisor Kelli Mathews all attended to share their thoughts and encouraging words with the graduating class.
Allen Hall Public Relations has acted as a consistent light throughout the University of Oregon’s transition to online classes in the wake of COVID-19. Our leadership team and account supervisors worked tirelessly to keep contact consistent between the firm and within each team in order to remain as similar to normal as they could and with great success.
Each professor shared stories of graduating seniors and fond memories recapping the past year. Kelli Matthews spoke about how hard times like these make us more capable and able to adapt. Seniors graduating in 2020 are (hopefully) the only people that get to say they persevere and graduated during a pandemic. And with all the chaos surrounding quarantine, there is no shortage of great communicators needed.
All of the professors shared words of advice on interviewing and putting your best foot forward even over Zoom. Our professors shared their tips to keep a work-life balance during quarantine, something that Forbes also recently wrote about. Allen Hall PR graduates have had to balance Allen Hall PR with other student groups, school, and their personal lives. Our graduates have a great foundation of support with these professors behind us.
The meeting closed with awards that went as follows:
- Account Supervisor of the Year was awarded to Kaylie Ferkich on the Peace Health Rides account.
- Account Executive of the Year was awarded to Olivia Farell on the Geranium Lake Flowers account.
- The Account Team of the Year was awarded to all the accounts in a surprise and very welcome acknowledgment of everyone’s hard work switching to an online format.
- Best Campaign was awarded to the SOJC PR account for their social media.
- Most Creative Campaign was awarded to Creative Canine Solutions.
- Best Media Relations was awarded to the Marching in Her footsteps account.
Additionally, the leadership team for the 2020-2021 school year was also announced:
- Firm Director is Kenzie Hudler.
- Assistant Firm Director is Chloe Stevens.
- Professional Development Director is Julia Wagner.
- Business Director is Emma Stevens.
- Communications Director is Leah Kahan.
Although not the ending of the year we had planned, this was a special and treasured way to congratulate everyone on their hard work. Thank you seniors for your devotion to this firm and your leadership. You will all be missed! Juniors continuing onto Allen Hall next year, have an incredible team leading them.