Interacting Light

Interacting Light

In this project I am focusing on light and how it impacts the idea of prospect and refuge. I plan on using stacked wooden units to form space and manipulate light in windows and entryways. This project affects its users because they can experience the wall in different ways depending on light and they space they choose (prospect vs. refuge/private vs. public spaces). The conditions of the affect are weather (cloudy vs. sunny), sun position (time of year), and position of the spaces (private vs. public spaces and how they interact with the light). This is important because it provides the user many ways to interact with the wall depending on their needs.

Conceptual Image

Measuring Affect Experiment

I measured the size of the window seats in the EMU as well as the effect light had on sound and social interaction. My notes on this, plus a list of conditions and a few rough diagrams, are in my sketchbook.

Plans (1″=1′)

Sections (1″=1′)

1/8″ plans and sections

Sketch model at 1″=1′ with experiments with wood

Assembly Model

I used this model to show a rough idea of how the final product would look if it was completely built of wood. Since this would be super exhausting to build at full 1″=1′ scale, I built it at 1/8″=1′ scale so that the idea still gets across. This model helped me realize how the actual assembly of the model would work. Also, I learned that I would most likely need to use much bigger sticks because using these at a 1″=1′ scale would take forever.