remix

In the presentation “Law That Choke Creativity”, I am touched by the three stories that the speaker Lawrence Lessig talked about. In the first one, he showed that “the culture moved from this read-write to read-only existence” (Lessig, TED). He told us the negative results how these advanced machine block human creativity. In the second one, he stated that “common sense revolts at the idea” (Lessig, TED). This is true in most of our daily life, that our creativity is limited by some traditional rules or regulation, thus some novel thoughts may face pressure when bring out. He also indicated that “we cannot make our kids passive again, and we can only make them, quote, “pirates” (Lessig, TED).  I think remix is a better way for us to be more creative since we can be motived by multiple ways or methods. However, I am not sure if advanced technology will replace the human minds and slow down our speed of creativity, but I do think that remix can make us in a better life if we can make through it by using our mind efficiently.

2 Comments
  1. I also agree that remixing is a good process in helping us become more creative as we have more methods in expressing ourselves in this manner. However I don’t think that advanced technology will slow down our speed of creativity; but rather speed up, as we not only have more tools at our hands to create more music, but we also have the sources from the music of our older generation to build off of as well. Also I’m sure a lot of listeners, like myself, would love to hear what two famous artists or bands music sound like together, so I applaud the efforts of Danger Mouse and believe that there is a potential for new music from that opportunity as well. Lessig says himself in his TED talk that “digital technology is the opportunity to revive the vocal cords” and that the introduction of the Internet and other applications such as YouTube is important to celebrating “amateur culture”, culture in which people create music “for the love of it, and not for the money”. Sure the use of technology may ease the process in creating new sounds for music, but in my opinion this provides us the opportunity to enhance our level of creativity and produce a style of music that hasn’t been heard of before. This would also create more relevancy for the older generation of music, as the younger generation would enjoy their music for decades to come.

2. Hi, Zhennan. Your post is good to reflect your feelings about the three examples of the TED video but you did not mentioned the problem of copyright and how it affect our creativity. The thesis of the TED presentation is how laws choke the creativity especially for the laws of copyrights. Remix indeed is a good way for us to be more creative but it has the potential violations to the laws of copyrights. Maybe you can consider the problem of copyright more in your post and think about the question – should copyright regulations remain unchanged, be strengthened or be limited or eliminated? And why? In my opinion, the copyright regulations should be relaxed for the non-business remix so that people’s creativity would not be limited while the benefits of creators could be maintained. How do you think about that?