World of Art

Just another University of Oregon Sites site

Unit 4 post Food is art

on October 23, 2013

After reading the article from Elizabeth Telfer, my thoughts and understanding of art were once again enriched. Elizabeth brought a very challengeable question that whether people view food and drinks as arts. To me, food can be viewed as an art. Food can be also made for visual purpose that can bring aesthetic value for people. Many artists use regular raw materials for preparing food to create beautiful art works for people to view. Some people may argue that those art works are not making for food purpose which is eating, they are making for showing or even celebrating. But those art works made by the same raw materials as food and they have the same taste as regular food. The main difference between regular food and art works is the way to create and make combinations. In the article, Elizabeth stated “Food properly so called is like wise often arranged or decorated in creative and attractive ways which constitute a visual work of art.” (Elizabeth, 14) When food was created and combined is an beautiful way which can attractive viewers and produce aesthetic value for them, food is becoming an art.

It recalled my memory of Dissanayake’s essay “What is Art for?”. In Dissanayake’s essay, she describe a theory that art is for life’s sake. She stated “I believe, by considering art in the broadest possible perspective–the palaeoanthropsychobiological view that I mentioned— as a universal need and propensity of the human species.” (Dissanayake, 21) She used a word called “palaeoanthropsychobiological” to represent art and she believed that art was made to satisfy human’s needs. I think this theory can best represents my view about food as an art. Food itself can satisfy people’s surviving needs. And people created an food art by using regular food materials to attract people and satisfy their aesthetic needs. When I see food, I will think about eating, but if I see an art made by food materials, I will think about art and beauty. When the needs changes, food can be viewed as an art.

Reference:

1. Tefler, E. (2002). Food as Art. In Neill, A. & Riley, A. (eds.) Arguing About Art: Contemporary Philosophical Debates (2nd ed., Chap. 2). New York, NY: Routledge.

2. Dissanayake, E. (1991). What is art for? In K. C. Caroll (Ed.). Keynote adresses 1991 (NAEA Convention), (pp.15-26). Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.

10 Responses to “Unit 4 post Food is art”

1. Vander says:

I already commented on two others, but enjoyed reading your post. I also commented on your comment on (I think Jocelyn’s page?)

In this post, you bring up a great point about the purpose of art. You indicate that it is often considered to be something one should view and assess for aesthetic value. You indicate how this complicates our understanding of food as art. Must the food be aesthetically pleasing in order to be art?

This made me think about all mediums. The only common denominator I can come up with is that every piece of art involves the capturing of a moment. A painting can capture a moment for a long time, as can a photograph. A musical piece can be played again, but each note has its moment. A play too consists of its lines/very specific moments. All these products (painting, photograph, music, play) require attention to craft, science and their “moments” or experience. Perhaps one of the issues with food is the fact that it is a medium that is so perishable. As Telfer indicates, food cannot be passed on to future generations. Perhaps our reluctance to consider food as art better explains our need for art. Perhaps we have a problem connecting to and appreciating “moments” that are so fleeting. What do you think about this idea?

• Dave allen says:

Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It’s hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I’m not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $20,500.00 from an investment of just $2000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I’m really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, he can also help you RECOVER your lost funds, you can reach him on WhatsApp : +1(424) 285-0682 or his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@ GMAIL. COM
      , bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you

2. James Scott says:

fell a victim to a trade sc*m approximately seven months ago. Through  a phishing scam, a grifter gained access to my account. They made off with 2.8 BTC. I was horrified. I attempted everything to get my money refunded by contacting support, but they can not even help me. However, a friend of mine told me about a recovery expert with the mail (jeffsilbert39 @ gmail • com). he assisted me in combating different investment fraudsters, but I can only thank God that I was able to reclaim my funds DM him on whatsapp +84 94 7671524.

3. Walter Brian says:

THIS IS REAL. I REPEAT, THIS IS REAL. The black mirror is real, the black mirror is really powerful, effective and 100% reliable. My name is Walter Brian, I want to thank Dada Magical for giving his black mirror to me. Since he gave me his black mirror, I became rich, successful, protected, informed and powerful. I was browsing through the internet one day when I saw multiple testimonies on how Dada Magical has helped so many people with his black mirror. I thought it was a joke at first but I gave it a try and contacted him. He sold the black mirror to me and told me how to use it and all that I need to do. I followed the instructions just as he told me and to my greatest surprise, it worked just as he told me. The black mirror is still working for me. The mirror also brings good luck, blessings and information. Contact Dada Magical now on his email; Dadablackmirrors@gmail.com and he will help you also with the black mirror just the same way he helped me. Thank you Great Dada Magical.

4. Walter Brian says:

5. jennifer bryner says:

MY CRYPTO RECOVERY TESTIMONY 2024

I just wanted to take a moment to share my incredible story of recovery and gratitude. As a woman who recently underwent surgery on my kidney, I was already dealing with a lot of stress and uncertainty. But what made it even worse was when I was scammed out of $44,000 in a cryptocurrency investment that promised me a return of $84,000. It was devastating to think that I’d lost all that money and would have to go into debt to cover my surgery expenses. But then I found Jetwebhackers, and they changed everything. They worked tirelessly to recover not only my initial investment of $44,000, but also the promised profit. I was blown away by their expertise and dedication to getting me back on my feet. Thanks to Jetwebhackers, I was able to pay for my surgery without going into debt. It’s been a huge weight off my shoulders, and I’m so grateful for their help. I know that not everyone has had the same experience as me, but I want to encourage anyone who’s been scammed or is struggling to get help from Jetwebhackers. They’re truly amazing professionals who care about their clients and will do everything they can to get you back on track. Thank you again, Jetwebhackers – you’re the real MVPs!”
    CONTACT THEM VIA

EMAIL:jetwebhackers @ gmail .com

TELEGRAM: @jetwebhackers

You can also contact them for the service below

* free Western Union Transfer

* free Blank atm card

* free Bank wire Transfer

* free PayPal money adder / Skrill Transfer

* Crypto Mining

* free CashApp flip Transfer

* Bitcoin Loans

* Recover Stolen/Missing Crypto/Funds/Assets

6. Lincon Reiser says:

In the high-stakes world of cryptocurrency, where digital coins can vanish in the blink of an eye, a new breed of “wizard” hackers has emerged to combat the scourge of stolen Bitcoin. Cyber Genie Hack Pro service, is a cutting-edge cybersecurity solution that uses advanced algorithms and lightning-fast response times to track down and retrieve pilfered crypto assets. When a victim’s Bitcoin wallet is compromised and their hard-earned funds disappear into the ether of the blockchain, these digital sorcerers swing into action, leveraging their formidable hacking skills and extensive network of contacts to follow the electronic trail, uncover the thieves’ identities, and compel the return of the stolen cryptocurrency. Employing a potent blend of technical wizardry and old-fashioned private investigative tactics, the team deftly navigates the shadowy underworld of crypto crime, deploying a vast arsenal of digital forensics tools and sheer cunning to outwit even the craftiest Bitcoin bandits. For those who have fallen victim to cryptocurrency theft, these modern-day alchemists offer a beacon of hope, restoring not just lost funds, but a sense of security in the lawless frontier of decentralized finance. With Cyber Genie Hack Pro recovery service, in this case, the days of helplessly watching one’s Bitcoin disappear may soon be a thing of the past. My Bitcoin 405,000$ was returned to me through CyberGenie’s team’s excellent recovery services. I escaped being a victim, you can also. Locate them via:
    Whatsapp…..+ 1 2 5 2 5 1 2 0 3 9 1
    T/Gram….. cybergenie hackpro
    Site… (ht tps:/ /cyb erge nieh ackpro (.) x y z/)

Thank you.

7. Sophia Coleman says:

MY CRYPTO RECOVERY EXPERIENCE 2024

WARNING: Scammers BEWARE! I’m about to share a jaw-dropping story of how I got scammed out of $64,000 in a cryptocurrency investment that promised me a return of $124,000… but then I found Jetwebhackers!. As a woman who was already recovering from kidney surgery, I was blindsided by the news that my investment was a scam. I was left feeling helpless, stressed, and worried about how I’d pay for my medical expenses. But then I stumbled upon Jetwebhackers, and they changed everything. With their expertise and determination, they worked tirelessly to recover not only my initial investment but also the promised profit. It’s been a game-changer for me, and I’m so grateful to have my money back. If you’re a victim of a scam or are struggling to recover your losses, don’t give up hope. Jetwebhackers is a team of dedicated professionals who will stop at nothing to get you back on track. Trust me, you won’t regret reaching out to them. They’re the real deal!”
    CONTACT THEM VIA

EMAIL:jetwebhackers @ gmail .com

TELEGRAM: @jetwebhackers

8. James Blood says:

I lost my investment capital and profits trading online, they kept on requesting for extra funds before a withdrawal request can be accepted and processed, in the end, I lost all my money. All efforts to reach out to their customer support desk had declined, I found it very hard to move on. God so kind I followed a broadcast that teaches on how scammed victims can recover their fund through the help of Gavin ray a recovery specialist, I contacted his email provided for consultation, I got feedback after some hours and I was asked to provide all legal details concerning my investment, I did exactly what they instructed me to do without delay, to my greatest surprise I was able to recover my money back including my profit which my capital generated. I said I will not hold this to myself but share it to the public so that all scammed victims can get their funds back. Contact his email:gavinray78@gmail.com or whatsapp +1 352 322 2096

9. JEFFEREY OLSEN says:

Hello fawn

Want to be sure I’m on to the right person
    I’m Allen ( the personal assistant to Human Resource) from the NHR headquarters
    The past week we have been getting email of your media
    Private and public picture
    But in an effort to reach you

I have been able to keep it under control so it doesn’t get out of hand

I suggest you respond as soon as you can so we can
    I don’t know how long I can keep this from getting to Hr and it could be a threat to your job with the team

I suggest we establish communication with this person and see what they want