Lab Members

PI

Cathy Y. Wong (cwong3-at-uoregon.edu)
B.Sc. (Biological Chemistry) McMaster University
Ph.D. (Physical Chemistry) University of Toronto
Postdoc (Physical Chemistry) University of California, Berkeley

Graduate Students

Kelly Wilson (kellyw-at-uoregon.edu)
B.Sc. (Chemistry) Brigham Young University – Idaho
I am from American Fork, UT and grew up in a family that encouraged strong values, education and the sciences. I became particularly fascinated with chemistry in junior high and high school because I enjoyed the challenge of learning how everything around me is made and it works together. I received my BSc in 2014 from Brigham Young University – Idaho where I became interested physical chemistry (the perfect combination of math, physics and chemistry). My hobbies include playing the piano, tinkering with electronics, programming, doing math in my head, and most importantly strengthening my faith and spending time with my wife and children.
Morgan Sosa (msosa-at-uoregon.edu)
B.Sc. (Chemistry and Biophysics) University of Washington
I grew up in a small town outside of Seattle, WA, where I attended Tacoma Community College before moving on to the University of Washington in Seattle (Go Huskies!). While at TCC I discovered a natural love for chemistry and physics which pushed me to pursue a degree in both at UW. I love the challenge of developing new insight into how our world works.
My hobbies include spending time with my partner and our dog, catering to our cat’s every whim, doing crafting things, watching fun math youtube videos, playing video games, and reading. If you have hexaflexagons we will be good friends.
James Sadighian (jsadighi-at-uoregon.edu)
B.Sc. (Biochemistry) George Mason University
M.Sc. (Chemistry) George Mason University
Originating from the mean streets of suburban Alexandria, Virginia, James “Hey!, how’d he get on the stage?!?” Sadighian’s first claim to fame was attending “that high school from that Disney movie” (T.C. Williams). Following his brief encounter with stardom, James got into the field of Chemistry for the fame, glory, and money. He traveled up and down Virginia before being signed to George Mason University and dropping his first mixtape “Degree in Biochemistry.” He immediately followed it up with his first studio hit, “Quantitation of Pharmaceuticals in Sewage” for which he was surprisingly awarded a Master’s Degree in Chemistry. Having conquered the East Coast game, James decided to try his luck in the West Coast scene where he signed with the University of Oregon, and the rest, as they say, is history.In his free time, James is enthusiastic about all things camo and/or CrossFit related, and enjoying Oregon’s “great outdoors” that he’s heard so much about.
Michael Crawford (mcrawfor-at-uoregon.edu)
B.Sc. (Chemistry) Illinois State University
Michael grew up in central Illinois and has fostered a fascination with math and chemistry since his high school days. After completing his B.Sc. in Chemistry with a math minor at Illinois State Universtiy (Go Redbirds!), he decided to pursue a Ph. D. in physical chemistry here at the University of Oregon. In his spare time, he enjoys playing strategy and tycoon video games, and watching other people do so.

Undergraduate Students

Madi Scott (madis-at-uoregon.edu)
I am an Oregon native with an indefatigable enthusiasm for chemistry. At the University of Oregon, I am pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biochemistry through the Robert D. Clark Honors College. The complexity of the natural world captives me. With the development of my academic capabilities, I am excited to use scientific theories and models (filled with all sorts of mathematical entertainment) as vehicles to explain everyday phenomena. In my free time, I enjoy running long distances in Oregon’s moody weather, biking parallel to the Willamette River, strumming the guitar (with mediocre skill), and indulging in a science-related nonfiction book.
Grant Hallt (madis-at-uoregon.edu)
I am from just a stones throw away in Portland, Oregon. I am currently a senior at the University of Oregon seeking a double major in Chemistry and Business Administration. I am fascinated with learning how the world works around us, and that is what has draw me to study chemistry. In my free time, I enjoy playing basketball, spending time with friends and my fiancée, finding Eugene’s best restaurants and making my own home brewed beer.

Undergraduate Alumni

Emma Waddington
Lab Technician/Research Assistant at Specific Diagnostics in Mountain View, CA.
Sam Reul
Rima Pandit