New Student Survey Questions

University of Oregon

1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.

• I was born and raised in New York but moved to Eugene from Miami, where I spent the past year. I found interest in AAD/Museum Studies by accident, abandoned the idea on purpose, and fell back into it again by chance. The arts (and their management) have been a part of my life in some capacity for quite a bit of time, built in so seamlessly I perhaps didn’t even notice for a while. Some of my family and family friends are heavily involved in the creative sector, both as artists and administrators/managers. I grew up partaking in my own involvement in creation, mostly through digital and analog drawing with a little bit of photo and video work thrown in for good measure. In the past several years I’ve had the opportunity to co-curate an exhibit at the University of Vermont’s Fleming Museum and ended up falling into work on some community development projects as well as scoring a few freelance graphic design gigs. Studying design, I became interested in the ability to manipulate perception and narrate stories through spatial formats, like buildings, exhibit spaces, etc. I knew I was super interest in museum work but decided not to shut doors in other opportunities and kind of forgot about it for a while. Through all this I studied economics, philosophy, and chemistry on both pre-med and pre-law tracks. I have complicated relationship with commitment. Eventually, interests in space and design led me to my acceptance into UO’s Master of Architecture program, which I backed out of literally at the last minute. Like, on the day of orientation (sorry, M.Arch. administrators). I realized the program wasn’t quite the right fit and by some modicum of luck, AAD welcomed me to the program with little notice. And now, here I am. Committed. Although, I think this is a commitment I’m excited about.

2. Area of concentration in AAD?

• I guess I got a little ahead of myself with my last answer. Museum Studies, in case you missed it.

3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems.

• I’m not entirely sure what “technology systems” specifically refers to. I have no sense of direction and use GPS for everything. Does that count? I’ve done a bit of web-editing for Florida Atlantic University’s Graduate College website (basic stuff, no coding involved). I also have some experience with graphic design/art as well slightly less experience photo/video editing and audio recording.

4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.

• Adobe Illustrator – I use this for just about every presentation/poster/project I’ve ever had to make. I also do a little bit of graphic design and enjoy digital art as a hobby. My knowledge of the software gets me by but is probably pretty rudimentary compared to all of the features Adobe offers.
  • Adobe Photoshop – I’ve taken a couple photography classes that were focused around the use of Photoshop, but I mostly use this as a tool for digital art with a Wacom tablet.
  • SketchBook – I use this a lot for digital art when I don’t need vector based graphics or all of the features in Photoshop.
  • I’ll use the Apple or Microsoft suites (PowerPoint, pages, etc.) for quick slides or posters.
  • SketchUp, 123D Make, 123D Design – Pretty limited knowledge here but I’ve used these in a design class for prototyping and creating 3D-printable models.
  • iMovie – I use this pretty frequently, mostly for personal projects for fun. I’ve also used it for some promotional materials for university orgs. I’ve run and worked with.

5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?

• I’ve taken a design course and a couple photoshop-based photography courses. These have all been at an introductory level and most of what I’ve learned has been through online tutorials or kind of clicking on things and hoping for the best. The majority of experience comes from a level of personal interest without any formal knowledge backing it but I truly love graphic design and have been noodling around with it (as well as video, photo, and audio software) for a few years.

6. Know anything about typography?

• Typography (and color) is everything. Well, not everything, but it’s a lot. I’m familiar with some basics and definitely have an appreciation for the ability of typography’s subtleties to completely alter messaging and perception. Font, size, leading kerning. I had a professor who beat it into us that these are things we really needed give focus to. Turns out, once you start paying attention to typeface it’s kind of impossible to stop. Cool stuff.

7. Do you use Web (2.0) apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with.

• I had to google a list of these to see what that meant. Apparently, Google itself has a host of them that I use (Google Calendar, Gmail, and Google Docs/Google Drive). Maybe I use more? I’m not very clear on what differentiates a website from a web app.

8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.

• Instagram gives me life.

9. Tell me something unique about yourself.

• That’s tough. There are a lot of people in the world. I’m not sure that I possess any exclusive characteristics. Instead, I’ll offer a fun fact: I love superhero movies, specifically for the villains. Joker is my favorite and I will shamelessly purchase merchandize that features the character.

10. Anything else?

• I once tried to find my iPhone using by the flashlight app on my iPhone.
3 Comments
  1. I loved your website as well as your waiting-style admin. Keep up the great work. Recently I visited the WaWa Food Store company to buy some foodies for my family. I mainly buy all my foodies only at the WaWa Store because their services are excellent & they are giving great offers to their customers. That’s why most USA people prefer The Wawa Store to eat their Food Items. Whenever I visit the WaWa store, I must participate in the Mywawavisit survey to give my feedback. By God’s grace, last time, I won a $75 gift card for free by taking the official Wawa Survey. For more information regarding the Mywawavisit survey, visit this official website https://mywawavisit.one/.

2. Hey there! CVS Pharmacy is running a customer feedback survey to improve their services. And guess what? By taking part in the survey at https://www.cvshealthsurvey.care/, you could have a chance to snag a sweet $1000 cash prize! Isn’t that awesome? So, if you’re a CVS Pharmacy customer and want to share your thoughts, hop on over to the survey website and get your chance to win some serious moolah. Good luck!