Environmental Justice Within the United States Prior to 1980

Presenter(s): Dante Ibarra − Environmental Studies

Faculty Mentor(s): Sarah Wald

Poster 161

Research Area: Environmental Justice Movement

My work will include creating a timeline, about the Environmental Justice Movement, that BARK can use as a teaching tool, which will quickly educate new and current members. I am working with a team, to cover the large amount of diverse information that the Environmental Justice Movement has. The other group members’ timelines will further increase the education at BARK as they will help will the understanding of other topics. In order to find out as much information as I can I will read books and journals within society and environment sections of libraries. Once I have a list a few notable events I will have to examine their significances on the rest of time to decide which to include on the timeline. The environmental justice movement was created with the goal of equally distributing environmental benefits and burdens amongst all people regardless of race, color, origin or income. In America the first time civil rights were used to challenge the placement of a waste facility was in 1979, Houston wanted another dump in a primarily African-American neighborhood so the residences protested using their given rights. More communities began to challenge unfair treatment and with no time the government was involved, signing acts such as the Clean Air Act. Without having this type of information easily available it can be lost and with it the meaning.