Dimana? Disini: The effects of migration and political strife on the Chinese Indonesian family, name, and identity.

Presenter(s): Kezia Setyawan—Journalism

Faculty Mentor(s): Sung Park, Tuong Vu

Session 4: Cultural Considerations—The Other

Dimana? Disini . Translated, this means, where are you/us? I/We are here .
Over the span of many generations, Chinese Indonesians have migrated to all corners across the globe . I hope to reckon and reflect upon how my family has changed and how others in our community have . This professional project will explore how identity and values shift through the lens of migration and assimilation for Chinese Indonesians . I have conducted in-person interviews in English and Indonesian and taken portraits of each interviewee . Through the process, I have tried to parse together patterns that show similarities in perspectives and what are contradictions . The final work is split into different components, one aspect is the literature review, which provides context and background information that informs contemporary Chinese Indonesian existence, timelines that illustrate historical events and family migration illustrating the changes in familial names over generations, and a series of studio lit portraiture on location with captions from their interview on what informs who they are . The project matters because it is a multimedia journalistic package that has many different entry points for the audience to engage with cultural identities different than their own .