First, Be Scrappy

This past week, I “took over” the Center for Sustainable Business Practices social media channels and shared a bit about my b-school experience thus far. What I hoped to convey is that there are limitless ways to get scrappy about building skills, experience and networks in business school. I have built all these pieces for myself by supporting entrepreneurs at RAIN Eugene, snagging a spot at Expo West through MBArk, securing a job at Lundquist College Career Services, and being specific about my internship search and networking goals.

However, it’s not only about being scrappy, it’s about being strategic. Ask any of us in the program what we do on a Friday when we have no classes and you’ll most likely hear that we’ve got informational interviews set up throughout the day. After all, the best way to land a job that you love is to build relationships with the people who are already there.

Beyond informational interviews, it is helpful to come into b-school with an idea of what your short and long-term goals are. I knew by the end of my first term that I wanted to find a summer internship in consumer goods, at a big company, in a marketing position. Little did I know that this exact opportunity would come to me in the form of a LinkedIn message.

All MBA students here at the U of O create LinkedIn profiles the summer before we start classes. From there, it is up to us to populate it with relevant information about ourselves and our work experience. A great tool on LinkedIn is being able to indicate to recruiters that you are “searching” and to identify specifically what you are searching for. About a month ago, I received a message from a recruiter at Cardinal Health. Before I knew it, I had a quick phone interview and then I was flying to Dublin, Ohio for a round of interviews and networking events. The first question that the Cardinal Health team asked in my interview?

“What have you done to get involved and build experience outside of your MBA classes?”

I was thrilled to receive an offer last Friday.

Ultimately, business school is what you make of it. It is an incredible opportunity in and of itself, but it is the work that you put in on the side and the grit that you commit that opens extra doors to opportunities. Had I not actively made the most of my MBA experience thus far, I wouldn’t have stood out as much to the recruiter who found me on LinkedIn or the managers who interviewed me.

It is a privilege to be here, pursuing a meaningful career, and I’m making the most of it every day.

Written by Daryl Mogilewsky

Daryl is a 2019 MBA in the Center for Sustainable Business Practices. She is a values-driven marketing and communications professional who is inspired by the complicated landscape of making the business case for doing good while doing well.