Student Internship Spotlight: Anna Karvina Pidong

Name: Anna Karvina Pidong
Year: Senior
Major: Accounting
Internship: Audit Intern, Deloitte in Portland, Oregon
Internship Dates: Summer 2015

Anna Karvina Pidong is a senior accounting student in the Lundquist College of Business. This past summer, she worked for Deloitte, one of the Big Four accounting firms, in Portland. Below, she shares some of the details of her internship, what she learned from the experience, and some advice for prospective interns in the accounting world.

What was the structure of your Deloitte internship like?

My Deloitte internship was two months long with 40-hour weeks. The first two weeks were spent in training, at both the regional and national level. The remaining six weeks of the internship were spent with our assigned audit engagement teams. I was at a client site for one-to-two weeks at a time so I had a fair glimpse into the firms that Deloitte audits and what it was like to be working with an audit team.

Describe your internship role and responsibilities?

As an intern, your biggest role is to soak in what the internship experience has to offer, and to do it with a positive attitude. Each audit team will engage an intern differently. For example, in one engagement team, I helped with the planning process of an audit by simply updating the information on prior year forms to the current year forms. In another audit, I helped out with preliminary risk assessments by working on the income statement fluctuation analysis. This meant I had to compare prior quarter income statement accounts with the current quarter’s income statement and explain why those fluctuations occurred. Yikes! But at the end of the day, the biggest responsibility that I had was to ask questions, be a positive and enthusiastic learner, and to complete each task that I was given to the best of my abilities.

What did you enjoy most about your internship?

Every intern class at Deloitte Portland puts together a video that we show to the whole office at the end of our two months there. It’s a pretty big deal. There were rumors that previous intern videos were never really good so our class was determined to make a high-quality video. We spent three weeks putting it together, from script-writing to acting to editing. We made a satire of Law & Order … and we called it Law & Order: Financial Victims Unit, SOX Edition (because the two main detectives were named Sarbanes and Oxley. Accounting jokes). There was no better feeling than having people crack up over our jokes. People at the office commented that it was one of the best intern videos they’ve ever seen. My intern class really bonded over this project and it just solidified the fact that folks at Deloitte work hard but play hard, too.

What was challenging about your internship?

The most challenging thing about the internship was probably getting over what I felt like was expected of me. I came in nervous about whether I was competent enough to even be there. What if I asked a stupid question? What if I didn’t know how to do an assignment? What would they think of me? But I eventually learned that when you are an accounting intern, you are not expected to know everything. My audit team was there to help me with my bajillion questions and they were happy to do it! Learning to ask for help, even in small things, and not be ashamed of it was one of the biggest lessons I learned this summer.

What advice do you have for other students?

Don’t take your accounting classes for granted. What you learn in financial accounting, tax and audit will actually show up in your accounting career some day. Public accounting firms want to see that you are taking your technical skills seriously. There were several times this summer that I wish I had paid more attention in class because we were doing work related to PP&E valuations and investments accounting.

And I would also say, take time to get to know the culture of the different accounting firms that you are interested in. Don’t simply label a firm based on what you hear about them. Talk to the recruiter and go to networking events. The connections you build really make a difference before, during, and after your internship. Good luck!

This Student Spotlight blog post was conducted as a Q&A written interview with Anna Karvina Pidong.

Written by Karina Padilla

Karina is a senior from Oregon pursuing a B.S. in Business Administration in General Business. She plans to purse a career working in the banking industry.