Career Readiness for International Students

International Student Career Empowerment

Recently launched by Lundquist College Career Services, the International Student Career Empowerment (ISCE) initiative provides international prebusiness majors with a structured approach to gaining practical work experience and expanding their professional networks.

Below, Fang Zhou shares her experience from ISCE’s recent Career Readiness event.

What was your favorite part about the ISCE? 

My favorite parts about ISCE were the timeline requirements and the one-on-one consultation.

Timeline requirements were great, I didn’t know what I could do initially. Having those deadlines urged me and directed me to take action in personal career exploration. With continuous participation, I gradually felt how it influenced my life positively. I began to enjoy and actively participate in activities, events, and clubs.

One-on-one consultation with ISCE director Xiaoying (Ava) Chen was also very helpful. I really appreciated her advising and help. As an international student who started exploring careers in my junior year, there was a lot I had to make up for. I didn’t know how to articulate my past experience on my resume, how to get ready for an interview, or what I should do to better prepare for my future. Through the conservations with the Xiaoying, I felt encouraged to solve the problems I met and keep exploring my career options. When I have difficulties, there is always someone to help me. I’m grateful for the support.

What was the most useful thing you learned from the ISCE?

The most useful thing I learned from ISCE was the idea that the more you try, experience, and participate in, the more you will gain. There are a lot of good resources and opportunities available on campus and there are many friendly people willing to help us. If I didn’t try or take the initiative, I never would have known how great it could be.

What were you most surprised to learn?

I was most surprised to learn how many resources are available in our university from ISCE. For example, just in the Career Center, students can make appointments with an advisor to have one-on-one consultations, sign up for workshops and career events, get practice interviews, or pick up a resume or cover letter writing guide. For the business school, there are even major specific guides and international student specific guides available.

What would you tell a friend who is considering joining ISCE?

If you are an international student who wants to look for career options in United States and you don’t know how to do it, but you have initiative to do it well, don’t miss the opportunity. ISCE is like a good friend who will help you and motivate you to make progress.

—Fang Zhou ’16

Hometown: Wuhan, China
Major: Accounting
Minor: Economics
Campus Involvement: Beta Alpha Psi and International Business and Economics Club
Dream Career: Accountant

Written by UO Business

The UO Lundquist College of Business empowers an engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and stakeholders who create, apply, and disseminate knowledge that contributes significantly to their professions, communities, and society. The college delivers a dynamic learning environment where world-class professors engage and get to know students, where students work on real projects for real companies, and where alumni go on to high-powered jobs worldwide.