Day 1: Getting There

I had the easiest flight possible, direct Portland to Amsterdam. I even took a shuttle up from Eugene so I didn’t have to think about driving. But not getting a wink of sleep on a ten-hour flight can make being perky at 8:30 a.m. Dutch time a challenge. Nevertheless, stepping outside Schiphol Airport, I was met with a blast of cool, fresh, misty air. And the ride to Nyenrode offered views of green, water, cows, and sheep. It was as if I hadn’t even left the Willamette valley… until I saw the quaint villages in the background and swans in the foreground.

Nyenrode campus

Nyenrode campus

Nyenrode campus is surrounded by farmland—there’s a horse right outside my hotel room. The air has a nice earthy smell, which adds to the charm of the stream, footbridges, and castle. The reception building, however, is state of the art, complete with monitors showing the day’s schedule, modern lounge areas, and excellent coffee machines that grind the beans right before pouring your personal espresso.

cure for the jet-lag blues

cure for the jet-lag blues

Not even close to homesick yet. But I’m glad we have a few days to reset before we dig into the curriculum.

Written by Margaret Savoian

After earning my Master of Accounting degree at UO in 2004 and spending a few years in public accounting, I returned to the Lundquist College of Business as the Administrative Manager of the Accounting Department. I oversee many department operations, including planning alumni events, directing annual fundraising, managing finances, developing communications materials, and organizing scholarships.