Shadowing Marketing Group DriveMG

Pre-business student Katie Breeden spent the day at DriveMG, a Portland-based marketing group whose clients include Nike, Intel, and NerdDeck.

How did you prepare for the job shadow day?
I went to the Career Center and looked at the pamphlets they offer, specifically the one about interviews. Obviously this isn’t a job interview, but I thought it would be good to look at since the job shadow was also an informational interview. Earlier in the year I went to the Student Alumni Association’s Business Etiquette Dinner that taught me more about proper attire, manners, etc. The Job Shadow Dress Rehearsal was very informative as well.

What did you do during your day at the company?
During my job shadow I had the opportunity to do many things. Firstly I got to sit in on a video conference meeting with Eric, the founder and CEO; Anna, one of the accounts managers; and Chandler, the chief strategist. Secondly I got to sit down with Kalina, the chief of motion graphics design and hear about the projects that she’s been involved in with Drive. Because the company has eight members I was able to get a good idea of the company culture and everybody’s responsibilities and job overviews.  Lastly I sat down with Eric and discussed his entrepreneurial endeavors and how he’s gotten to where he is today.

What was the most memorable part of the day?
Getting the chance to sit down and hear Eric’s story and ask my own questions about the lessons he’s learned was the most memorable part of the day. I came away with a lot of good advice and information.

What surprised you about the day?
I didn’t know much about DriveMG before the Job Shadow day. I had done all the research I could, but there just wasn’t very much out there about the company and so I didn’t know if I was going into some big corporate entity or a small company. I learned about what it’s like to be part of a small company, and I found that I really like the environment and culture of a small business.

How do you think participation in the Job Shadow Program will benefit your career?
I was able to learn about a career path that I’m very interested in and do lots of self-analysis on what I’m looking for within this path. Being able to articulate my own wants and needs is very important and this career exploration got me thinking about how I can best position myself as a college student, and later, a grad.

What would you tell someone else who was thinking about participating in the program?
Do it, but commit 100 percent to it because you will reap the benefits of the program if you really sit down and do the activities that are assigned. If you happen to go above and beyond, then you’re doing even more to help yourself. Likewise, if you only go through the motions, you won’t learn much from the experience. Read up as much as you can about the companies that are available because you may think you know what you want to do, but this is an environment where it’s safe to take moderate risks and do something out of your comfort zone.

—Katie Breeden

Written by UO Business

The UO Lundquist College of Business empowers an engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and stakeholders who create, apply, and disseminate knowledge that contributes significantly to their professions, communities, and society. The college delivers a dynamic learning environment where world-class professors engage and get to know students, where students work on real projects for real companies, and where alumni go on to high-powered jobs worldwide.