Join UO AWSM Wednesday, Feb. 17 for a Skype Q&A with Paola Boivin. She is a sports columnist for the Arizona Republic and writes about the Arizona Cardinals, ASU and U of A, and more. She has been in the industry for over 20 years, and she is also a former president of AWSM! Come with any questions you have about sports writing, networking, resume building, etc.
Five Pieces of Advice from UO AWSM’s Coffee Hour
By: Linden Moore
Don’t be afraid to start producing your own content. Starting to write your own pieces can you get experience before applying for internships.
Explore opportunities you are interested in. You never know what might be the right fit for you, so do your research and cast your net wide.
Talk with people in your field of interest. This is a great way to get advice and learn about the industry.
Ask questions. The more you ask, the more you learn! It is better to ask about a position or division you interested in before starting a job and learning it is different than you thought.
- Be passionate about the field you choose to pursue. This shows you are willing to put in the time to do a good job.
Four pieces of advice for a career in sports media from Preston Hiefield and Kristen Rodgers
By Jesse Dieffenbach
Five takeaways from our meeting with Callie Wagner
By: Linden Moore
- Surround yourself with people who are passionate about a achieving a common goal. This is important to help make it a reality.
- Sometimes you don’t know what your dream job is. Just put yourself out there, it will help you find it when you least expect it.
- Networking is always a great opportunity. Don’t be afraid to reach out to someone you aspire to work for.
- Passion is one of the greatest things one can bring to a job. It will make what you are doing not feel like work.
- Majoring in something different than the job field you go into is OK. Having a variety of skill sets can help you be more adaptable.
Stay tuned for the announcement of our winter term workshops and speakers. So you can start planning, we meet every other Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Allen Hall on odd numbered weeks (1,3,5,7,9) unless stated otherwise.
Our tentative winter term schedule is the following. We will keep this list updated with dates, times and other necessary information.
- Week 1 – January 6th at 6 p.m. in Allen Hall Room 221
- Callie Wagner, Assistant Director for Women In Flight
- Week 3 – Jan 20
- Week 5 – Feb 3
- Week 7 – Feb 17
- Week 9 – March 2