By Gabby Urenda
- Be more confident. Know that you belong in a press box, post-game conference or locker room. Hold your head up high because your interview skills will become better and you will make your presence known.
- News outlets are looking for interns with strong writing samples that go beyond just game stories. Your portfolio should show your personality and fearlessness.
- Start creating your own brand—now. Make sure you have a strong presence on social media by linking your stories and don’t be afraid to promote yourself.
- You have to do a little bit of everything, which includes the dirty work. This can include shooting games, editing, live tweeting and writing a story. Don’t just limit yourself to one aspect or expect someone to do it for you.
- Don’t give people a reason to be hard on you. Though the sports media world is more inclusive, make sure you know how to dress so people don’t have a reason to single you out.
Best quote of the night: “I don’t know if I would still be in this business if it wasn’t for AWSM.”