Feedback is a Two-Way Street

0
Not all feedback is good feedback. At times, criticism may be mistaken for feedback coming across as flat, generic, or unhelpful. Constructive feedback, on the other hand, plays a central role in improvement. Some might even say it is crucial to success as it turns a deficit into an opportunity for growth. In the last post, I wrote about two projects I was working on: identifying short term funding and working on a grant application for the Feminist Review Trust. This week, I will discuss the grant application’s outcome through the lens of giving and receiving feedback.

What is the feedback?

One workplace feedback model distinguishes between four basic types of constructive feedback (e.g., see Kevin Eikenberry for more information). The differences between these aspects of feedback include both a past or future orientation and a positive or negative focus. When distinguishing between these types of feedback streams, it is important to note that criticism and praise are often mistakenly believed to be necessary feedback components. Yet, these are, in fact, distinctive from a model of constructive feedback.

A good rule of thumb to understand differences in feedback delivery suggests that constructive feedback seeks to diminish criticism while balancing the role of praise. Another way to think about this is that constructive feedback focuses on a specific area for improvement. It is a process that builds out from a particular problem area to include overcoming a perceived limitation. The four types of constructive feedback in this model are:

• Negative feedback provides corrective comments about past behavior that should not be continued in the future.
  • Positive feedback affirms past behavior that should be continued.
  • Negative feedforward delivers corrective comments regarding future performance that should be avoided.
  • Positive feedforward identifies future behavior that should be incorporated to improve performance.

Receiving feedback

Receiving negative feedback can be difficult to hear. From past experience, I’ve discovered that it is often best when receiving feedback to employ several tools from the conflict resolution professional’s arsenal, such as active listening, reserving judgment, and empathic communication.

It’s tough to receive unpleasant news, but it’s best when in this situation to refrain from interrupting the speaker and acting defensively. The former may seem like common sense. Many people may be put-off at interruptions; however, many people experience a natural tendency to interrupt and defend against what they perceive as criticism, which often comes across as argumentative. Dr. John Izzo (see video below) offers an interesting solution to working through uncomfortable feelings associated with receiving feedback one might disagree with. Izzo suggests a simple technique that uses 5 simple words, “Thank you, tell me more.”

My Feedback Experience 

Baladna’s Director suggested that she was confused by what I had written in a grant proposal. The director’s comments provided a hollow opportunity for improvement, as the main critique was supported by an observation that my particular writing style read more like an article than a grant proposal. Her comment felt confusing since I wasn’t sure how my writing reflected an article and what I would need to change the style. I asked for clarification believing that the director might be referring to either the tone, audience or position of my writing; however, the director could not offer specific critiques about my work.

Frustrated from the exchange, I was referred to the resource development coordinator for Baladna, who chose to rewrite sections of the grant application instead of explaining how to improve the existing document.

The final grant application submitted to the Feminist Review Trust included several grammar and punctuation errors and also exceeded specified word limits. When I attempted to address these concerns (before submission), offering my own feedback, it was suggested that my focus was on the wrong area and seemed to be spending too much time making the writing sound just right.

The resource coordinator suggested that fixing every grammar and punctuation concern is not as important as turning out applications or letters of inquiry. The way that it was explained to me suggested this was more of a numbers game (i.e., more applications equal a greater opportunity for funding).

I had a hard time understanding the focus on quantity over quality. I believe grant application should represent the organization’s very best possible view, and that begins with the first item the donor reads.

Writing grant applications require different writing styles in comparison to articles. Still, feedback remains beneficial when it’s specific. Ultimately, constructive feedback is a two-way street that involves specificity to aid growth and restraint to hear specific improvement opportunities.