Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

Directed byLa Donna Forsgren

Archive Photos

Director’s Comments:

“Rubbish is treasure here in Wonderland.”

–Tweedledee, Through the Looking-Glass (1871)

To the Young:

Welcome to the Hope Theatre! If you have never been to the theatre before, here are three things you should know. Feel free to:

1. Clap when you want.
  2. Laugh when something funny happens.
  3. Dance along if you like the music.

There will be a bathroom break. Make sure to check out the lobby. It is filled with wonderful things for you to see and touch. Also know that this production has been tested by kids and received a thumbs-up. I hope you enjoy the show!

The the Young at Heart:

Before moving to Oregon when I was ten-years-old, I lived in an economically depressed community in Youngstown, Ohio. With ten little girls to feed, purchasing traditional toys ranked rather low on my mother’s list of priorities. Growing up poor taught my sisters and I how to make something wonderful out of everyday items. On any given day my bedroom could transform into an enchanted forest with a few strategically placed blankets, an ice skating rink using empty shoe boxes for skates, or a schoolroom by using a rock for chalk and the back of a dresser as a chalkboard. As adults, it’s easy to forget the magic of childhood and the power of make-believe. The stress of deadlines, paying bills, work obligations, ect. Often blind us to the wonders that surround us.

My own children help me remember the simple delights of childhood. They educate me on the merits of Minecraft, challenge me to justify why it is important to change underwear daily, and remind me of what really matters in life. It is my hope that for the next ninety minutes you will also remember the simple delights of childhood as you delve inside the minds of siblings Derek and Allie as they recreate Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland to suit their own modern sensibilities. Enjoy the show!

-La Donna Forsgren