Teaching-related research

My very first teaching experience was as a student/teacher in Classical Greek. For the practicum for my MA in Applied Linguistics, I did a semester-long participatory action research project in an intermediate Greek classroom where I was also a student, and got to experiment with different techniques for teaching and learning vocabulary. The results of that study are published in the journalĀ Classical World (Taylor-Adams, 2016).

Language teaching methods is one of my favorite things to research and learn about. In the Spring of 2016 I took a seminar at the University of Oregon titled “Language revitalization through place-based learning”, taught by Janne Underriner, the director of the Northwest Indian Language Institute. Place-based design captured my imagination. I got to practice place-based curriculum design by creating a unit for Classical Greek (you can see the materials for that curriculum project under Sample Documents). I presented this curriculum unit idea at the Classics Association of the Pacific Northwest (CAPN) annual meeting in 2017. Here is the slideshow of thatĀ CAPN presentation.

Currently, my colleague Kaylynn Gunter and I are working on a project to investigate how graduate students in Linguistics and other social science disciplines develop professionally as future educators. You can find out more about that mixed-methods project here.