Kotletki (Russian Meat Patties) [Котлетки]
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
1 lb ground pork
2 slices of whole wheat sandwich bread
¼ to ⅓ cup milk or water (Milk is preferred, but water is fine too)
1 tsp sea salt
¾ tsp ground black pepper
1½ tsp paprika
1½ tsp granulated garlic
½ large yellow or white onion (or 1 small one), grated
Olive oil to grease pan
- Add beef and pork to a large mixing bowl.
- Place bread in small bowl and pour milk or water on top and let bread soak for 2-3 minutes. After time is up, mash up bread and milk with fingers until evenly crumbled.
- Add crumbled bread and the rest of the ingredients through onion to bowl with meat.
- Mix meat mixture well (fingers) to combine all spices.
- Preheat skillet to medium and then add enough olive oil just to coat the bottom (If using panini press, preheat it now).
- Add eggs and mix till egg well incorporated.
- Form round patties with ¼ cup meat mixture, about 1″ thick
- Place patties on lightly greased skillet and cook on medium to medium low, 5 minutes for each side (Cover with lid while cooking but pay attention to avoid burning).
- Check internal temperature of fattest patty with a meat thermometer (165 deg. minimum). You can keep the cooked kotlety in a 170 degree oven while cooking the rest.
Best served with mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes or rice and a vegetable or side salad. Good ketchup or a homemade sauce great with these also.
Recipe was adapted from: http://wholemadeliving.com/kotlety-russian-meat-patties/