Ingredients for Borshch:
2 large or 3 medium beets, thoroughly washed
2 large or 3 medium potatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces
4 Tbsp of cooking oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
1/2 head of cabbage, thinly chopped (see picture)
1 can kidney beans with their juice
2 bay leaves
10 cups water
6 cups chicken broth
5 Tbsp ketchup
4 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp chopped dill
How to Make Borshch:
1. Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water. Add 2 – 3 beets. Cover and boil for about 1 hour (some beats take longer, some take less time. It depends on how old the beets are). Once you can smoothly pierce the beets with a butter knife, remove from the water and set aside to cool. Keep the water.
2. Slice 3 potatoes, add into the same water and boil 15-20 minutes.
3. Grate both carrots and dice one onion. Add 4 Tbsp of cooking oil to the skillet and saute vegetables until they are soft (7-10 minutes). Stir in ketchup when they are almost done cooking.
4. Thinly shred 1/2 a cabbage and add it to the pot when potatoes are half way done.
5. Next, peel and slice the beets into match sticks and add them back to the pot. The beets might stain your fingers!
6. Add 6 cups of chicken broth, lemon juice, pepper, bay leaves and can of kidney beans (with their juice) to the pot.
7. Add sauteed carrots and onion to the pot along with chopped dill.
8. Cook another 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage is done.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise.
Find out more about borshch:
Interesting facts about borshch: http://blogs.uoregon.edu/tasteofrussia/sample-page/borshch-2/interesting-facts-about-borsch/
Recipe was adapted from: http://natashaskitchen.com/2010/09/26/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/