2023: A Space Odyssey

A Course Site for English 107

I chose this image because I think it well represents my case study of Athena. It also captures the dynamic I picture in my head when I read the excerpt where Athena tells Telemachus about his father being alive and returning back. I think this image is important to my case study is because it shows a modern-day example in the form of a movie with a massive fan base. It shows a scene in the book, that could be confusing to the reader, and visualizes it in a way that the audience can understand. How this shows my narrative on the case study is because before we started reading, we were told that The Odyssey had inspired many films such as Star Wars, with that said when I was reading the book for the first time and got to the part where Athena reveals information about Telemachus’ father the thing that instantly popped into my head was this scene from Star Wars.

In the image the man on the right, Obi-wan, tells the young man in the middle, Luke, about his father. Now Telemachus and Luke are not in the same predicament meaning that Telemachus had heard of his Father before and knew of him while Luke, an orphan, didn’t know his Father.  What Homer fails to represent is the amount of curiosity and intrigue that Telemachus has about information regarding his father. This image relating to the Odyssey goes and shows the amount of curiosity by body language. The body language of Luke in this scene shows what we didn’t get from the Odyssey which is how alert and attentive he is during the whole conversation about his father that he doesn’t know. I feel like both Luke and Telemachus would respond the same way just because of how they both didn’t know anything about their fathers and because they both didn’t have a personal relationship with them. Luke because he is and orphan and Telemachus because he was just born before his father left to go to the Trojan War. How this narrative is important is because it shows how important Odysseus is to Telemachus even though they have never had a relationship with each other. It also shows an insight into Telemachus’ journey in the book to become the man his father was so that he can take control of his house and get the suitors to leave.

How my narrative can help rewrite The Odyssey is by making the book still be about Odysseus’ journey but also about Telemachus’ journey of becoming the man that his father was through the stories he is told of his father. My narrative provides insight because it takes a story that is meant to be all about Odysseus and makes it about Odysseus and his son. While Odysseus is off at sea trying to get home, Telemachus is trying to become the man his father was before he left to protect his mother. How my image helps readers look at it differently is by hopefully seeing visually how important news is to a boy who had to grow up without a father.