Shaunae Miller-Uibo, Phyllis Francis finish 1-2 in women’s 400

By Melissa Ingabire

Phyllis Francis returned to her alma mater to run at Hayward Field in its original glory during the final Prefontaine Classic there before construction of a new state of the art track. Despite being excited about the new arena, Francis couldn’t help but feel nostalgic.

“Now it’s really starting to hit me — it’s just so great to be out here with the fans,” Francis said. “It brings me back to memories of my college years. But you know — out with the old and in with the new.”

Francis took an early lead in the 400 meters Saturday, but in the last 50 meters of the race, Shaunae Miller-Uibo of the Bahamas closed in to win in 49.52. Francis finished in second place in 50.81.

“I’m not too stoked about the time, but it’s an opener and I’m trying new things,” Francis said. “I’m just glad that I executed hard from the start.”

Miller-Uibo’s time was her quickest opener in the 400 meters, but she thinks she can do much better. She said simply: “I can live with it.”

Fresh off the finish line, she was already thinking about tweaks she can make.

This was Miller-Uibo’s fourth time competing in Eugene, but she said this year was different. “I had to change up the race a little, but I was able to power home and finish strong,” she said.

According to Miller-Uibo, one thing about Hayward Field never changes- is the fans.

“The crowd is always really great and supportive which helps,” she said. Having previously won the event at the 2016 Pre Classic, she said, “It still feels really good to win again.”

Melissa Ingabire