Jamaican 400-Meter Hurdler Janieve Russell Shines in victory

By Jenny Sanchez

Jamaican Olympic hurdler Janieve Russell won the 400-meter hurdles Saturday at the 44th Annual Prefontaine Classic in 54.06, edging American Dalilah Muhammad by .03 seconds.

“I was expecting a faster time,” said Muhammad. “I was ready to run, but some days aren’t your best. I was just not mentally prepared, and it got to me at the end.”

Muhammad, 28, earned her first IAAF Diamond League trophy last season. In 2016, she became America’s first female Olympic gold medalist in the 400-meter hurdles, an event the U.S. annually dominates. Her lifetime best of 52.88 still stands as the Hayward Field record, but she could not surpass the record nor Russell.

“My step patterns weren’t there today,” said Muhammad. “I have never stuttered. I think the first time I have ever stuttered was in high school. So, I don’t know what that was, but it happens, and it caught me off guard.”

Russell, 24, is Jamaica’s youngest Olympic finalist in the event. This year, she is fourth in the world rankings after ranking seventh last season, and she recently won a Commonwealth Games championship.

With many things running through her mind before and during the race, Russell reminded herself of her coach’s thoughts of freeing her mind and giving her all at Hayward Field.

“I was a little nervous,” said Russell. “Everyone is feeling the same pain, and everyone is running the same distance. I had to go out and pull off my best for the fans, but I was feeling the crowd, which reminded me of my home country, Jamaica.”

American Ashley Spencer, 24, finished seventh after winning last year’s Pre Classic with a personal best of 53.38.

“I was not myself today,” she said. “I lost footing and noticed my chances of winning slipping away. I did all that I could, but I was just not mentally prepared for this.”

Russell will take the week to prepare for her upcoming Rome Diamond League race on May 31. Her goals for the season are to qualify for the Diamond League final and to race below 53 seconds.

“I feel pretty good and very confident,” said Russell. “I’ve been racing this circuit with these ladies since 2015. With this win, it gives me the confidence boost I need for the season.”

Jenny Sanchez