Stone’s 4×400 Relay Helps to cap a Successful Meet for Oregon

By Brenten Kelly

Oregon junior sprinter Cameron Stone, placed second in the 4×400-meter relay Saturday while challenging himself earlier in the 800 meters earlier in the Pepsi Team Invitational at Hayward Field.

“In the 4×4, I just wanted to go out there and give everything I have,” Stone said. “It was my first 400 of the year — I was happy and felt good. We have been training really hard. We really trust the training staff that things would go well.”

Stone’s relay team included Jonathan Harvey, Orwin Emilien and Mick Stanovsek. Oregon ran 3 minutes, 13.78 seconds and placed second behind Washington, which won in 3:13.31.

But Stone did not start off the day well, finishing ninth out of 10 runners in the 800 meters. His teammates Stanovsek and Sam Prakel placed second and third.

“It was a rough day — the 800 was rough, I don’t know what happened,” Stone said. “We have been training really hard, though. Conditions were rough, but it was a fun, different event. Got to run with Sam and Mick, so that was cool.”

The weather conditions were not ideal, 20 mph winds and rain throughout the meet. But Stone said the training staff prepared them regardless of the weather.

“It’s Oregon — we’ve been training in this weather pretty much all year,” he said. “It’s nothing new. Coach told us just to come out here and do what we have been training to do.”

Asked about the benefit of running the 800 before a 4×400, Stone said, “I just look at running the 4×4 after the 800 as training, just to go out there have fun with it and do your best.”

Brenten Kelly

One Comment

1. I have been having issues with finding the best cap for myself. After reading this article, my issues has come to an end. I really love the information you provided here as it has helped me a lot. merely looking at the article, i can see that it is written by a PRO. please check my article on Facebook Marketplace Settings and give me valuable feedback. Thanks for the good write-up.