Arizona State’s Maggie Ewen Dominates Throws at Pac-12 Championships

By Morgan Sudduth

Maggie Ewen sometimes goes by the nickname “Maggi-tron,” according to one of her athletic trainers at Arizona State, and  she sure lived up to the name at the Pac-12 championships at Hayward Field Sunday.

Maggie Ewen not only won the women’s hammer with a throw of 230 feet, 4 inches, but also women’s discus with her first throw of 196-2.  And the day before, she won the shot put, giving her 30 team points for Arizona State and the honor of Female Athlete of the Meet.

“It feels great, you know, I couldn’t have asked for obviously any more. I couldn’t have done anymore,” said Ewen. “I’m just so happy it came all together when it needed to.”

Ewen, the defending champion in the hammer throw, had only two good throws, but her best was more than 230 feet and untouchable. Washington’s Onyie Chibuogwu came in second with a throw of 201-5.

“It’s always cool to compete against like the best,” said Chibuogwu. “I mean losing sucks, but like it feels good to lose to the best person to ever do it.”

Ewen fouled on her first two throws, and was more confident after her third throw, over 211 feet.

“It’s always stressful, but you know slowing it down, getting one in and then kinda getting that confidence back under me that definitely helped,” said Ewen.

She was so relaxed that she stepped away from the event to cheer on a teammate in the men’s discus.

“The moment you take it too seriously, you know, is kinda when you start to breakdown,” said Ewen. “We’re out here to have fun, and so I just want to make sure that’s what I’m doing…inside and outside.”

Although she was loose at Sunday’s event, things could be different in the future. Ewen is looking toward a matchup against former NCAA Champion Julia Ratcliffe. This matchup is not set in stone yet, but she has been watching Ratcliffe religiously and has been trying to get a feel of how far she’ll throw.

“I’m preparing myself to have some really good competition,” said Ewen.

With another meet being over 230 feet, Ewen plans on this being her consistent marking that will take her to new heights.  

Morgan Sudduth