Brazier smashes Jim Ryun’s 50-year-old record in winning NCAA 800 meters

By Madi Layton

Entering his 800-meter race Friday at the NCAA Track and Field Outdoor Championships, Texas A&M freshman Donavan Brazier said he didn’t anticipate running anything special.

But after a grueling two laps, Brazier shattered Jim Ryun’s 50-year-old national collegiate record by nearly a second. Brazier ran 1 minute, 43.55 seconds, breaking Ryun’s 1966 mark of 1:44.3.

“I was just focused on a place,” Brazier said. “I knew if I got in the right place, like first, second or third, I’d have a good time. I didn’t expect first, though.”

As though it needed to be said, Brazier also broke the NCAA meet record with his historic win.

One of the keys to Brazier’s win was a fast first lap. The other competitors commented that the opening speed was nearly too quick, but Brazier felt right at home.

“I felt pretty comfortable with the pace … I just knew I had to put my shoulders down and lower my shoulders and relaxing,” Brazier said. “I’ve been working on that all year.”

Two other freshmen joined Brazier for the final: Isaiah Harris of Penn State and Robert Heppenstall of Wake Forest. Harris ran a PR and finished fourth in 1:45.76. Though it wasn’t enough to make top three, he knew he was part of something special.

“Taking part in probably the best race in NCAA history,” Harris said. “Nothing to be ashamed of.”

Friday’s record wasn’t Brazier’s first.

In January for the indoor season, he became the fastest American junior in history with a 1:45.93 at the Texas A&M Team Invitational. That record had stood since 1982.

Though Brazier said such a stellar indoor season added “a lot of pressure” for the outdoors, the pressure kept him motivated.

“It just kept me hungry,” Brazier said.

Looking forward, Brazier will decide between competing in the U.S. Junior Championships or going for the Olympic trials, a decision he said he will leave to the coaches.

“My coach… he knows my potential,” Brazier said. “I guess I didn’t know until today.”

Lori Shontz